Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

vjim
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

engine noise

Post by vjim »

Hi ,

Can somebody explain me this noise ?
On the video it's regular , but it's not always.
Clearance tappet ?
Chain tensioner ?

Thanks

vincent

https://youtu.be/XvOhr2xl1YQ
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: engine noise

Post by GaryS »

Really I can not tell, But this would be a rundown checklist
1. as you said -Tappets - you may find a wacked cam lobe if you are having a really bad day.
2. with the covers off you will check the chain tension. They would be rather slack to be making that noise. They should be quite taute (?)
3. A somewhat common malady (if not the above) could be the chain drive gear on their arbor. The sound would be coming unmistakably from the front cover. The woodruff key that indexes the gear may be ready to let loose - which would lead to much damage. Also the carrier bearings at each end of the arbor can fail. it has been a while since I did this one and my recollection is imperfect, But it is accompanied by an unsettling clacking sound - very much originating at the front cover .. But to do this job the cam covers must come off anyway so that would be the first checkpoint. BTW, this job requires the removal of the sump among other ancillary components which is somewhat time and labor intensive.
4. -unlikely- water pump vane wheel banging against front cover. Grab pulley face and check for excessive play / runout
5. -unlikely- exhaust header pipe manifold gasket to head leak. check for air pulses without scorching your hands
Obviously refrain from driving enjoyment until diagnosed. I cannot tell a darn thing from the audio. Best of luck that its nothing serious
Gary
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: engine noise

Post by ThomasK »

Just go through the normal maintenance program and see afterwards if it is still there. The Dino Engine is a high Performance engine out of the 1960s - maintenance is key.
So if you have checked valve clearence, chain Tension etc. lets see if the noise ist still there and lets discuss further.
KR Thomas