2.0 Camshafts and Tappets

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

mmmmoto
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

2.0 Camshafts and Tappets

Post by mmmmoto »

I have an early 2.0 Dino coupe, and have found that my cam lobes were worn down when I recently tried to do a valve adjustment. The car is pretty new to me. As a result, I seem to have two options:

1. Purchase a new set of stock cams with new tappets - probably purchased from Superformance.

2. Have the existing cams refurbished by Mr.Fiat (or someone else) who says they also drill the existing cams to get better oiling.

Questions:

1. Has anyone had their cams refurbished by Mr. Fiat? They do not offer any type of guarantee which is concerning.

2. Is there anyone else that someone has used with good results?

3. Should I also purchase new cam buckets when I have my cams refurbished or when I purchase new cams?

4. Has anyone purchased new cams/ buckets from Superformance? What has been your experience? Do they last?

5. Where can I find shims or a shim kit for the early style shim-under-bucket cam followers?

6. Are there any other reliable sources for these parts/services that anyone recommends?

Thank you very much for any advice and information!
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: 2.0 Camshafts and Tappets

Post by GaryS »

Please clarify - are the lobes missing their peaks? Are the lobes rough and gnarled? What is the condition of the tappet faces. My experience with early style tappets is they show a bit of irregularity, But they will stay like that indefinitely with proper warmup and adequate supply of suitable grade oil.(multigrade 40 currently, but a solid 20 years running 20/50) Refacing the early tappets destroys the case hardness which will trash the cam lobes in no time flat. Replacement 'in my experience' results with the same face irregularities within short order, but then it just stays that way.
Superformance or Dino Services gmbh - I would caution using an intermediary with the type of work you may be planning to undertake.
Drilling of existing cams??? Do not run low on oil /use adequate warm up procedures / within spec main bearing clearances - nothing more required (?). Playing the odds with these basics and your top end is at risk due to ... inadequate oil supply !! Mind you I am not saying not to do it, But I personally do not find this to be a necessary insurance policy. These engines are robust, but negligence ....... and that is what it takes to hack a motor, will not be favored by a redemption.
Stock cams are excellent, But upgraded cams may very well be better. SF or Dino Services will both provide honest evaluations.
Hope my banter can be of some help or guidance
Gary
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: 2.0 Camshafts and Tappets

Post by ThomasK »

I can just recommend to drill a 0,7mm hole into the cams - it is a recommended and proven way to cure one of the few weak spots of the dino engine. If done properly you will get rid of the Problem of low oil supply at the cams when starting the engine with cold oil - and therefor with any Problems of worn cams. I have tested the engine with these small wholes without cam covers getting turned by the starter - there was immediate oil supply after 2 or 3 turns of the crank, with cold oil.

I f you reshape your cams make sure they will be hardened again. Every serious shop will do this. I have done mine by Campro in Germany.

KR, Thomas