Fuel Pump Circuit - Terminal 16

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Fuel Pump Circuit - Terminal 16

Post by johnharrill »

Working on a 2000: What is the purpose of terminal 16 on the ignition switch?

The blue/black wire passes through it on its journey from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. Does it prime the pump briefly before the starter engages?
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Fuel Pump Circuit - Terminal 16

Post by Tobi »

This post concerns a 2400, but might help as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35&start=70#p2237
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

Thanks, Tobi.
This makes perfect sense. However, terminal 16 has +12V in the "run" position as well as the initial key position.

I suspect the ignition switch is the issue.
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by GaryS »

If you are having issues with the ignition switch not providing 12v to the blue black fuel pump wire in the prime position - a non positive detent position between Run and Start - And you have the original copper and contact point mechanicals, you can very likely diagnose and repair the malfunction. Later style sealed electronic unit is best replaced. My experience has been to file and clean the contact points as well as tweaking the copper geometry as required to provide excellent contacts for each switch position - maybe about once every 10 years has worked well for me. Removing the full ignition switch makes verifying that each contact position works correctly more certain, but is not essential. If you have the original style internals it should make sense to you with parts in hand, a vohmeter, and a clear enlarged printout of the ignition switch from the 2l wiring diagrams (shop manual spider or updated spider/coupe 2l versions).
Gary