Distributor Service

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

alexjordan
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Distributor Service

Post by alexjordan »

I was curious as to what interval a basic distributor service is required to be done and what is involved. Is it a time or mileage interval?

As the car is only run about 1/2 the year and stored the other half, and with the orientation in the horizontal plane does this create any issues to maintain peak performance? I do run points.

Is this to be done in conjunction with any other type of periodic service to maintain correct overall engine timing?

Regards,

Alex
GaryS

Re: Distributor Service

Post by GaryS »

If you are running the Dinoplex, MSD, or similar setup which uses the points as a low voltage switch you will find very little wear in that part of the distributor. The advance mechanism should be checked and serviced every so often. I am happy checking every few years, a comfortable length of time yet showing no compromise of performance. Replacement weights should provide good service life, Superformance at least claims as much. Make sure the weights compress smoothly without binding. Inspect for wear that appears to be abnormal oe excessive. Apply an appropriate distributor lube to the pins that retain the weights as well as the compression springs and their retainer. Check the ball bearings that secure the drive mechanism at each end for any wear. Apply a dab of motor oil to the pad in the cam lobe / points compartment. Check the carbon brush for free movement and clean up the contacts in the cap. If the distributor body is in imperfect alignment to the cylinder head you would want to optimise before refitting. That info is available in the various service manuals.
Gary
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

On a related topic:
  • When removing the points is it normal to remove the bearing carrier that sits above them, if so how. Or does one leave it in place and work like a gynaecologist?

Is it possible to install the distributor the wrong way round (180 degrees out) or does the drive have an offset that prevents this?
Thanks folks.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Any comments on my post above folks please.

It's 15 years since I worked on my car. I don't remember having to work on the points through the top plate but neither can I see how obviously to get it off.
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

You can adjust point gap with the bearing retainer plate intact. If changing out points, yes, you really should remove the top plate. Remove retaining screws, and if present - depending on specific distributor - remove retaining clip on shaft just above ball bearing. On early S125's where the bearing has a cover plate, as is illustrated in the 2.0 workshop manual, you may need to remove the 2 retaining screws. I do not recall having any difficulty in removing this part, the bearing is not an inteference fit - If plate seems to be stuck or frozen i would consider lightly tapping the plate on its rotational axis ... But I do not think you should have any difficulties. Now .... getting the 2 point sets in perfect 60 degree phasing and accurate alignment so the distributor body sits perfectly centered within its window of travel (and the rear sprockets are not offset to one another) does require some ingenuity but can be easily accomplished with a few basic tools!
Gary