Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

iceblue
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Looking for Rear Wheel Hub Bearing 2400 spider

Post by iceblue »

Rear Wheel Hub Bearing 2400

Hey Guy
Has anyone rebuilt rear end on the Dino Spider.
I have ordered some Rear Wheel Hub Bearing from Superformance.
But they are wrong.... I think they sent me the one for 2.0

Any help on where I can locate some Rear Wheel Hub Bearing 2400 spider
abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Looking for Rear Wheel Hub Bearing 2400 spider

Post by abarth4 »

I have replaced a rear wheel bearing on my 2.4 spider. It's pretty straight forward but it's best to remove the hub carrier and get it on a press to do the work. The original bearing Is an SKF unit. My SKF reference page gives a part number of 615645A. Of course this is obsolete and no longer available, but they do show up from time to time on eBay and such. You may also try Peter's bearings at http://www.peters-bearing.de/produkte_neu.php. I think they had advertised them at one time but I have never dealt with them so I have no experience with them or their service. I seem to remember that this bearing did not cross to anything else (of course!) Good luck.
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by fdus172 »

Re getting the wrong wheel bearing from Superformance... Have you talked to Colin - during my restoration there were times when the incorrect part was shipped, and they always were prompt about getting the right parts back.
DinoTomNL
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by DinoTomNL »

Any tips on how to get the new bearing in the big unit which is connected to the shock absorber ?

What about the flange where the wheel bolts go in? (should they be a relativly loose fit in the bearing and be able to slide in/out without a press?)

Here a photo of my assembly:
foto 3 (1).JPG
foto 3 (1).JPG (151.86 KiB) Viewed 13991 times

Regards
Tom
PS what is the torque value for the center wheel bearing nut?
Magic Motorsport
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by Magic Motorsport »

I have a supply of these SKF 615645A bearings. They are new manufacture from the SKF facility in Italy. They are commonly used in Formula cars of the seventies which is why I have had to source them. They would be US$ 240 shipping included.

admin@magic-motorsport.co.uk
SDC10574.JPG
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

The bearings are at least available, thats important. I changed mines last winter and organised them for lass than 100 Euro a piece.

The fit is not lose at all. You have to use a Press and you must ensure to Support the inner Ring while pressing the flange into the bearing, Otherwise you damage your new bearing. And dont forget to mount the "seegerring" as it secures the bearing.

The order is first to press the bearing into the "axle case", than the seegerring and them the flange into the bearing.

I Wonder How you have managed to build off the bearing without disassemble the whole thing?
DinoTomNL

Post by DinoTomNL »

Hello,

I have replaced my rear wheel bearings of my 2400 coupe with new skf units. (Actually old stock from 1991)

They are pressed in at a local shop and afterwards the hub is pressed in when the bearing is supported.
After I fitted the wheel hub on the car and torqued up the m22 centre nut with 27kgm while retaining the shaft by an iron bar it unfortunately still has play...... :( shouldn't be the case with new bearings I presume?!

Then we put a socket on the hub to hit it with a hammer a few times to settle it and re torqued it; didn't help either only seemed we got more play.

If I understand correctly the 2 inner shells (cups) of the bearing should be clamped to each other when torque down the centre nut in order to get rid of any play.

To check if the pressing in of the wheel bearings is done correctly I put it under the press again with 10ton of force. When it was still under the press i didn't feel any play... (Without brake disc so more difficult to feel indeed...) So that's weird because I do feel play when it's on the car.

I also checked if the nut could go on far enough on the thread of the cv joint without the hub.

Other thing I noticed: The inner cup of the bearing on one side of the car can slide a bit when the nut is loose but the other is firm.

We also measured the distance between the end of the cup of the bearing and the end of the hub as you can see at the photo and compared this with the cars units and there was an approx difference of 1 mm, (so that would confirm I have play at the cars units but we didn't manage to get rid of this 1mm with 15ton press) don't know though of all those units are the same in size and thus comparable...

What did I do wrong or forget! How to get rid of the play?
All tips are really welcome!!!

Thanks
Regards Tom
Ps I also fitted new uj joints and bushes of suspension and drive shaft are still connected to differential.
photo
photo
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

I am not sure if I understand corretly how you have worked and the foto is irritating me, as it does not look as a Dino Bearing.
As you first have to press in the bearing into the housing, pressing the bearing on the outer ring, and then afterwards (after mounting the seegerring) press in in the wheel hub, supporting the inner ring of the bearing (and don`t forget to mount the metal sheet around the brake disc upfront).

The nut is then for tightening the drive shaft to the axle housing, doesn`t "tighten" the bearing.

The bearing has two inner rings, that are of the same size - on the foto I do see only one inner ring on top, can`t see right what is on the downside, something does not look correct there.
Maybe you can measure your bearing and compare to the bearings that you had previously in your Dino.

At last, there is a big washer under the M22 nut, maybe this lead to play when it is missing.

KR, Thomas
DinoTomNL

Post by DinoTomNL »

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply!

The photo is a part of a dino bearing with only the cups on there. The lower part is a bit rusted and therefore looks as it shouldnt be there but is the same as the upper one.

I installed it just as you described but the problem is that I still have play...

Kind Regards
Tom
Laverda Jota

Post by Laverda Jota »

Hello,

Regarding DinoTomNL's issue with a new rear wheel bearing with play, I've seen the same thing. Bought a pair of brand new ear wheel bearings (SKF, a.k.a. RIV) in mid-1980's (yes, I've had my 2400 Coupe since '82). Some years ago I swapped one rear bearing and, surprise, play. Later on, after some consideration, I put the other one in. So, no more stock. And of course there was a play in that one too.... I've also discused the issue with an old friend, actually working at SKF. He wasn't that surprised, they were actually manufactured by RIV, Italy. Solution? I've found a similar (i.e. inner and outer dia are correct, but 1mm longer. SKF GRW234, fit older Mazda 929), hence machining of the hub is necessary. Still have to take it apart again to see if it's possible to machine out a mm without jeapordizing strength of hub. For example yoyopart.com has a good list of bearing cross references.

Good luck