distributer conversion to optical pickup

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

distributer conversion to optical pickup

Post by Dario »

Hi, just wanted to report that I decided to swap my working dinoplex and its coil for a luminition optical pickup with the bosch transistorise ignition setup. I had an issue with the points recently, where they had moved/displaced and shorted, leaving me temporarily stranded. I can't say if the fault was with the installation of the new points or their quality, but it wasn't fun.
For a full guide, visit dinoplex.org :-)
I followed Adrian's advice to the letter and it worked right off the bat. I used the OS50 and FK 124 package. The latter's wheel is a bit loose, though, and the plate to hold the optical switch needs to be fabricated. I simply copied one of the points base plate, out of 5mm steel. You need the extra thickness to clear the timing wheel. Nothing special appart from that, it really is a simple installation that does take a bit of time. I found an old aluminum box that resembles one of the more recent dinoplexes to mount the Bosch chip. To adjust timing, I just followed the instructions that came with the car: with the no. 4 cylinder at TDC, make sure the timing wheel is positioned so that you can generate a spark when the distributer is turned from full left to full right. Cold starting was improved over the dinoplex, as wall the idle when cold. In fact, I even had to turn back the idle a little.

The good thing is that you can always go back to the points and dinoplex later on.
So, thank you Adrian!

Dario
original dinoplex
original dinoplex
after...
after...
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: distributer conversion to optical pickup

Post by Stefan2000 »

At least you will not have to fiddle with these points anymore :geek:
If your looking for an empty dinoplex case that is prepared to mount an ignition module inside, I have some.
this smaller model will look period correct for the 2400.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Hi Stefan,

Do you know if the AEC103 case that you show in your picture uses the same stud arrangement as the AEC101?

I have a Fiat Dino 2400 Coupe which came with a non-working AEC101 - I gutted it and replaced everything inside with the Bosch module according to Adrian's instructions. But most things I have read since suggest that my car would have come with a AEC103 - so I might be interested in swapping to one of your boxes, but only if it bolts up the same way.

Thanks,

-Richard
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Hi Richard,
The studs are matching for both. Both boxes are fastened with two studs to the front and one stud to the rear. The two to the front are always the same. If your car came with an AEC103 and you install a large AEC101, the rear stud will be under the AEC101 and might need to be shortened. The rear one should also be there and fixes a coil bracket in AEC103 setup.
The studs in your car should show you the original setup. If it came with an AEC101, it might happen that the rear stud for the AEC103 is missing.
Cheers,
Tobi
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Tobi,

The studs perfectly match the AEC101 case, with no evidence of them ever having been modified. So I think my car (ser.no. 04211) must have come with AEC101 originally. I'll keep the AEC101 (now containing just a little Bosch module).

Thanks again,

-Richard
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Of course, keep it. Both versions are correct. Bosch inside is still better than any other solution different from a Dinoplex.
By the way, I have an AEC101 in my car and it seems that it came originally with an AEC103 since there is a stud for the smaller one under the large one now. I didn't want to shorten it. Now it doesn't sit flat on the fender.