Balancing square top carbs

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

JeremyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Balancing square top carbs

Post by JeremyC »

I'm considering buying one of the normal carb air flow meters to try and get my tickover better. However I have the early squared topped carbs, can one still use a tool like this:

Or do you need something different? Does the tool have enough compliance to seal with the squared off carbs throats?

Thanks
Stefan2000

Re: Balancing square top carbs

Post by Stefan2000 »

Probably it won't work but I just use a thick round rubber engine mount with a 20mm hole inside (but you could use many different things with a hole inside that seals the top of the carb) that I put on top of the square top. Works perfectly.
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

It will work.
A small amount of leakage around the edges is acceptable. The important thing is that the carbs draw the same amount of air relative to each other.

I have recently synced a 1967 Coupe. Nice idle. Good throttle response.
dino176
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dino176 »

If you by the square one mean the DNC cab. Please be aware that they are not balanced individual but as a pair. They do not have a air bypass screw as the DNCF - meaning you need a gauge that coveres both squares.
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

On the early no by-pass carbs, measure the vacuum of both throats of each carburetor.
Use the highest reading of each carb to compare to the other two and make your adjustments accordingly.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Thanks, just doing the M5 to M6 filter stud conversion and a top rebuild (clean out, new need valve and set the float height) then I'll get to the tuning. How did all that grit end up in the float chambers with filters on the pump, pressure regular and carb inlet???