need help from coupe owners

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

4cambob
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

need help from coupe owners

Post by 4cambob »

Hello,I would like to ask again if any one can take a look inside their boot/trunk and describe what the boot/trunk hinge pin with possible nut looks like.I am trying to restore mine to original but have no references.Many thanks Rob.
Jos_2400
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: need help from coupe owners

Post by Jos_2400 »

Hi Rob.
I have a 2400 Coupe and can take a look and pic when back home this WE.
Jos
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

+1
Put the boot lid on a 2000 coupe yesterday. Found out the torsion springs will not hold it up.

Is the tension adjustable?
71Dino

Post by 71Dino »

Hi

I have attached some photos of my 71 Dino 2400 Coupe Boot Hinge Pin. It is difficult to get a clear picture because of the positioning of the Hinge.

Photo 1623 shows the pin holding the hinge from the outside of the car, through the rear air vent.
Photos 1628 shows the pin from the inside of the car.
Photo 1633 shows the stud where the pin is held, the pin in this stud has snapped off flush, so I am going to have to drill it out.

I have a drawing L1.23 of the boot, showing the hinges with the pins on them. If you want, I can copy the drawing and post it next week.

Let me know if you need any more info and I will try to help.
Attachments
DSCF1634.JPG
DSCF1633.JPG
DSCF1628.JPG
DSCF1623.JPG
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

Thank you very much 71Dino for taking the trouble to post these photos.Even though my car is a 2.0 I would have thought these hinges and pins would be the same.However the hinge pin is still not not clear to me.With the drawing It looks as though it is fixed to the hinge and as such would likely require a nut on the other end.But photo 1628 seems to show an allen key head of a bolt.Then photo 1633 seems to show a hexagonal head of a bolt on the outer side which would contradict the drawing,and then also mean that a nut would likely be on the inner side.My hinges have no fixed pin and I would guess should have a nut visible on the end of the pin whilst looking via the boot/trunk opening.
71Dino

Post by 71Dino »

Yeah, I don't know why the drawing shows the pin fixed to the hinge as it is not. Its not a allen key head, the pin seems to be riveted at both ends. I plan on drilling out the broken pin and then replacing it with a bolt. Do you have the spacer that is shown on photo 1633?
fdus172

Post by fdus172 »

On my 2.0 coupe, the pin is simply rivited to the hinge. There is nothing on the inside of the mount point to hold the pin in place. Then when the torsion bars and the trunk lid are attached - everything stays in place. I suppose that you could replace the pin with a bolt, since there is some space between the hinge and the mounting.
Attachments
1114161340.jpg
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

71Dino,I do not have any spacers on my hinges,they have been messed about with and are no longer original.Did you take out the rear screen and if so how difficult was it.
Thank you fdus172 for your photo,this is exactly what I was looking for,and this would also correspond to the drawing by 71Dino with the fixed pin arrangement.
71Dino

Post by 71Dino »

Yeah, I took out the rear wind screen. It was a lot easier that I expected. Basically, I cut a heap of thin spacers out of some old sheet steel. I lifted the wind screen rubber from the inside of the car and pushed the spacers inbetween the rubber and the glass. I kept inserting the steel right around the windscreen. Photo 1117 shows the spacers inserted in the front windscreen. Eventually as you work your way round the wind screen, it naturally pops out as shown in photo 1120. Its then just a case of gently lifting it out.
Photo 1121 shows the spacers in the rear wind screen. The rear is a bit more difficult to get to but it was still easy enough to pop out.

I am a long way from putting the wind screens back in but hopefully they should go in just as easily.
Attachments
DSCF1121.JPG
DSCF1120.JPG
DSCF1117.JPG
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

wow, Im very impressed you took the screens out yourself,and with the chrome strips attached.I was too afraid of the risk of breakage but will now try it with your method.below are photos of my botch welded pin which I had to cut off then try and drill the remains out,but finally managed to remove the bush from the car.
Attachments
fiat 299.jpg
fiat 371.jpg