Guidance on Restoration of Dinoplex AEC 101 CA

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

apenberrys
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Guidance on Restoration of Dinoplex AEC 101 CA

Post by apenberrys »

I have owned an early '67 2.0L Spider (s/n #220) since 1983.

I recently obtained a working Dinoplex AEC 101 CA and BZR coil....according to the previous owner - it was removed from a crash damaged early 2.0L Coupe. Although I have no way of verifying its operation at this point.

I am interested in installing to my car per Fiat Technical Bulletin :#89. Originality is important to me and I understand that the Fiat Dealers did in fact retrofit the Dinoplex into the earlier 2.0L cars as requested by the owners.

I have several questions:

1) Is there a recommended resource (in US preferably - I'm located in Orlando, Florida, USA) to do both a cosmetic restoration and operational check of the Dinoplex and Coil prior to installing in my Spider?

2) Has anyone sourced or fabricated the mounting brackets needed to secure the Dinoplex to the firewall?

3) Any guidance on best approach to tuning car after installation of Dinoplex and Coil (i.e. different plugs, carb settings, etc.)?

4) It appears that this unit is a AEC 101 CA...what is the difference between it and the model correct AEC 101 C?

I am posting some photos of the unit and coil for reference.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Attachments
IMG_6679.JPG
IMG_5756.JPG
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
'67 Spider - #220 (owned since 1983)
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Guidance on Restoration of Dinoplex AEC 101 CA

Post by Tobi »

Congratulations! Especially the coil is hard to find.
Regarding your questions:
1) Just install it (temprorarily) to check the function. It's wired in a few minutes. If you like originality, don't do too much cosmetic restoration. New type plates and stickers would be available from Superformance: http://www.superformance.co.uk/fiat/ignition.html
2) I don't know, but the Dinoplex should be intalled on the fender, not to the firewall.
3) Should be no difference. I'm happy with NGK BP7ES or BP8ES plugs.
4) http://www.dinolex.org answers this (and many other questions).
apenberrys
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by apenberrys »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree, I don't want to overdo the cosmetic restoration. My goal is to make it look as period correct with some patina.

Does anyone know the correct color and/or paint finish for the coil itself as well as the top connector block?

If someone has photos of an original that is good condition that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
'67 Spider - #220 (owned since 1983)
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Your coil and the attached ballast resistor still have the original colors. You may keep the patina or redo them with new paint and a new label. You also have the original cables with their marking rings. Clean it and keep it as it is as long as everything is working.