Dino engine detail

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

goDino
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Dino engine detail

Post by goDino »

Hello, I am helping out a friend perform a complete restoration on a 1967 Dino. I am having trouble with the details of the completed engine. Many of the photos I have found have different finishes on the valve covers, airbox, etc. Everything from chrome to black wrinkle finish. We would like this car to be factory original. Thank you in advance for any help. cheers
Attachments
2016-05-14 14.46.13.jpg
2016-05-14 14.50.42.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Dino engine detail

Post by Tobi »

goDino

Post by goDino »

Thank you for the link, however there still seems to be a disagreement on the colour and finish on the valve covers. The strongest argument leans toward black wrinkle finish on the magnesium and no paint on the aluminium covers.... or gold that turns brown over time. I didn't comprehend a conclusive answer. There is a smooth finish on the engine we are working on. it looks grey to me. I'm still miffed.
Attachments
2016-05-14 14.43.19.jpg
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by GaryS »

That appears to be the original finish. Smooth, dark olive brown in color. This is a finish that was applied to the magnesium castings as an effective protective layer against corrosion. The Cromodoras also have a protective finish applied under the original paint, but the color is a light yellowish green. The finish on the wheels, I believe from memory was labeled a Dow ###. The finishes will glass bead right off leaving the alloyed magnesium parts in their native grey/silver finish - which is quite prone to pitting and other deterioration. If applying paints to the naked alloy you should base in a zinc rich primer to maximize stable adhesion and longevity. Powder coat finishes are a bit different. I have had excellent results with Epoxy powders directly on these alloys, But you must be certain that the alloys are not trapping any impurities which may require applying low heat torch (not oxy acetylene) to the parts. If you would be coating after stripping protective finish, but not seeing further service life before refinish, then basic evaporative cleaners (acetone) will be fine.
Gary
goDino

Post by goDino »

Thank you Gary for the explanation. Is this the gold colour mentioned in the previous response ? If so, is there a colour code from Salchi or Glasurit that Fiat used ? This is my first experience with Fiat restoration and I'm having difficulty finding accurate, original colours and finishes.
I have seen the air box in chrome and also black wrinkle finish. Would you know what finish is proper for this car ?

I have restored 5 Ferraris ( 3- 308's and 2- 400's) and I didn't struggle with so many variations as with the Dino. I would appreciate any leads.
thank you again
Attachments
'79 GTS new photos 005.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

This is no gold colour. It's rather a passivation coating. See these NOS heads: http://www.dino-register-deutschland.de ... =14&t=1246
As far as I know, the air box should be plain black, no wrinkle.
There aren't that much variations, but restorations often didn't stick very much to the original.
patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by patrizio »

Tobi wrote: As far as I know, the air box should be plain black, no wrinkle.
On my early version '67 Coupé, the air box originally colour (not restored) is grey/brown hammered ;)
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

I have researched this in the last couple of years(i am doing a nut and bolt on a 2.4 liter spider)this is what strongly came out of my research.
Dino valve covers were never painted gold. The Gold color that you see on the sales brochures show the valve cover to be gold on the 2 liter cars . This was only for promotion. The 2 liter and some of the 2.4 liter cars have magnesium calve covers. They were simply not painted. The later 2.4 liter cars had aluminum valve covers and were painted black at times like the Ferrari Dino cars...I suggest you paint finish your valve covers a color close to the magnesium color, There were several shades some were grey and some dark laté. Do not powder paint magnesium valve covers..the heat could consume them. All the hardware on the engine should be yellow cad. On the rest of the car most of it was yellow cad as well, and some black phosphate. You will find here and there some small nuts and washer to be clear cad. It probably depended on the available supply.
Hervé