Fiat 124 starters in Fiat Dino Coupes

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Fiat 124 starters in Fiat Dino Coupes

Post by doublegarage »

Has anyone actually purchased and successfully installed a Fiat 124 starter in a Fiat Dino Coupe? There are very attractive prices in the USA, not only on rebuilt Marelli 124 starters - but also on a Nippon Denso starter with gearing that could be a great upgrade for our cars.

On the 2400 coupe the starter is on the right/passenger side, the opposite of the 124 I believe - but! the Dino starter is mounted upside down (i.e. solenoid down) so the general layout of the starters should be the same. The Denso motor kind of sits where the solenoid sits, therefore that model may not fit since the motor is larger than a stock solenoid - but I'd still be interested whether anyone has installed a 124 starter?

Thanks,

--Richard
Last edited by doublegarage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Fiat 124 starters in Fiat Dino Coupes

Post by Tobi »

I don't know about the 124 starter, but if you're looking for an alternative, check http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/product ... lications/
They sell a starter that is smaller, lighter and stronger than the original starter. It is also not very expensive. They also have an appropriate alternator. One of our German Dino guys has such a starter in his Spider and is very pleased.
josh
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by josh »

The dino and 124 starters seem pretty different (mount on opposite sides of the engine, for instance). The dino one is externally identical to the one used on the fiat 1500, though. The drive may have a different number of teeth, I haven't checked that.

For my car, I recently got one of these: http://ferraristarters.com/Fiat_Dino.html
They are a dealer for this company's product: http://www.gustafsonmachine.com/

I haven't installed it yet, but I expect it will be very nice.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Josh,

very interesting and thanks for the links - it looks as though Gustafson makes the starters that are sold by the Fiat 124 parts guys such as Vick Autosport etc.

Yes agreed the Fiat 124 starter is on the opposite side of the engine - but the Dino one is upside down so its configuration (where the pinion opening is etc) shoudl be different - but like you said, I hhave no idea about number of teeth on the flywheel etc.

Your starter sounds very nice, can you send some pictures of it before you fit it? - and once it's in place - I just did this job (but put the original starter back in after refurbishing) so if you need some hints let me know - it's a puzzler, unless your engine is out of the car?

Thanks again,

-Richard
josh

Post by josh »

It won't be going back in for some time (engine is currently out while the car is being restored), but here's what the starter looks like:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (131.86 KiB) Viewed 14923 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (116.23 KiB) Viewed 14923 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (159.22 KiB) Viewed 14923 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (129.18 KiB) Viewed 14923 times
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Josh. great pictures.

Is this the type where the body can rotate around the mount? - it looks like it might be with that black set screw.

And is this one permanently engaged or does it have a "throw-out bendix" (not sure about correct terminology) like the original.

Looking forward to hearing about the installation - thanks again.

-Richard
josh

Post by josh »

Pretty sure it uses a typical "throw out" mechanism, and yes it looks like it can be clocked at various angles.
Beanderb4

Post by Beanderb4 »

Guys, I don't have any information relating to 124 starter motors but I can absolutely confirm the starter motor from a 1968 fiat 1500 fits. In fact it is identical with the exception of the number of teeth on the pinion. You will need to swap the pinion because there are a different number of teeth, so you need to take this off the old motor or you can pick spare pinions off eBay.it quite easily.

Paul.
josh

Post by josh »

Thanks, Paul, that's how it looked to me. (I also have a 1500, and had looked at the starters side by side). I thought that was the only difference.

Glad to have the confirmation.