Red dash charging light won't go out

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Christopherevans52
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Red dash charging light won't go out

Post by Christopherevans52 »

I have read the previous posts on this issue but am still stuck. I have replaced the alternator on my 2.4 coupe following a breakdown (red light came on and 20 miles later car died with flat battery) I have fitted the original type so a straight swap no change to the original voltage regulator. I now have charge at the battery which seems good (14 + volts with revs, 12+ volts at idle) but the red light stays on. I removed the cover of the voltage regulator, cleaned the points with emery paper and WD40, the arm moves/oscillate between the points when you rev the engine but doesn't click one way or the other with any regularity which is what I think is supposed to happen?? and at one point the light did go out but then came back on again. I'm guessing the yellow wire from the alternator is the one that controls the light? There is also talk of a relay under the dash but where? Any hints welcome before I buy a new voltage regulator at £79.00 +VAT!
Christopherevans52
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Red dash charging light won't go out

Post by Christopherevans52 »

Just to update, I have narrowed it down to the relay next to the voltage regulator which is stamped Sepia T5610 , the points stay closed on the spring and should open when under charge turning the warning light out, moving the points manually does turn it out but it won't do it itself. Question is, is a Sepia 5230 relay the same as I can't find a T5610 anywhere?