Wobbly Steering Column

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Wobbly Steering Column

Post by johnharrill »

I have a wobbly steering column in the '67 coupe I am working on.
Replaced the bearings (Mr Fiat). But it is no better than before.

I seem to recall my brother's 1971 124 Sport Coupe had the loos column issue.

Is it a Fiat thing?
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Wobbly Steering Column

Post by GaryS »

The cup bushings should take out any play of the steering column. Do you have the circlip that holds everything firmly in place installed? This is very basic service maintenance that should yield excellent results that last 80-100k km's. If when pushing up and down on the steering column the carriage holding the column is also moving then you need to tighten the 2 bolt fasteners a bit more.
Bijan
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Bijan »

Hi Gary,

today I was trying to replace those cup bushings in my steering column too, but
I did not manage to loosen the lock nut shown on the picture attached to this post.
20170528_161302.jpg
How can you loosen it? I guess that there is a special tool required, am I right??

And another question: do I also have to take out the ignition lock?

Thanks

Bijan
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I remember this being a simple procedure, But your picture introduces elements that seem unfamiliar to me. Perhaps the procedure you are using is producing, or trading off difficulties? I remember doing mine with the steering wheel support carriage on my workbench - not in the car. Did you remove the steering wheel? It is not apparent from the photo. But this needs to be removed - then the circlip and the rest should present itself as very basic. My recall is not great most likely because there were no difficulties encountered which applies to 2 cars, coupe and spider done at different times.
Bijan

Post by Bijan »

Hi Gary,

yes, of course I removed the steering wheel and the circlip you are mentioning.

The upper bearing is then easy to remove, the lower one is blocked by the lock nut
shown in the picture. Of course it is easier to do that on the work bench, but this involves
the removal of the ignition lock, which I actually wanted to avoid.

Looking at the generally poor quality of the cup bearings I asked myself if it doesn't
make sense to replace them by higher quality roller bearings. Has anyone done this
already?

Regards

Bijan
Bijan

Post by Bijan »

I unmounted the carriage yesterday and dismantled the whole assembly on the workbench
which was indeed quite easy. The lock nut can be removed by using a circlip
pliers - no special tool was needed here in my case -

@Johnharrill:
As Gary said already it is crucial that there is no clearance between the circlip and the
upper bearing. If there is clearance your steering column will wobble. You can adjust the
clearance with the lock nut shown on the Picture posted earlier OR you can use washers.

I have not followed the path of using alternative roller bearings for this purpose since I could
not find any bearings with the correct outer diameter. There are SKF standard bearings with the
outer diameter of 37 mm, but we actually would need 36,5 mm for a proper fit...

Regards

Bijan
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Glad it all worked out well.
General practice of mine is to do the long procedure, in this case removing the carriage, which gives the advantage to better understand how it all goes togerther and works. Once I have done a procedure I may make note for a more streamlined, effecient method. But being old cars I generally like to inspect anything in the area of maintenace / repair being done. In my case, with the carriage on the workbench I would also remove the ignition switch electricals (original copper and points style) light file the point contacts and apply a spray of electrical cleaner. Best of both worlds in a way - It is both satisfying and enjoyable for me to do the mechanical / maintenace side .. at my time of convenience! But to never not be able on a whim to go in the garage, start her up, and enjoy the substantial prowess of a fine vehicle.
Gary