Early Plastic Steering Wheel

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

alexjordan
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Early Plastic Steering Wheel

Post by alexjordan »

My original leather wrapped plastic steering wheel needs to be refurbished. Has anyone used someone with success?

Cheers
Alex
Stefan2000

Re: Early Plastic Steering Wheel

Post by Stefan2000 »

I can not really help you but I think it would be interesting for many peoples.
I don't really know what exact material is used for these steering wheels but I think it is quite an uncommon design/material. Maybe you have some more pictures from your steering wheel?
At least I'm sure it is not leather originally, it looks like a very thin wooden wheel with a black coating and a bakelite insert, but the wood could also be some kind of plastic or bakelite.
One thing I know is that they are very rare and much more fragile than the thick wooden wheels. But these thin black wheels look so beautiful in combination with the interior that it would really be worth restoring it.
Attached a picture from my steering as a reference.

alexjordan

Post by alexjordan »

Thanks for your reply and photos. I am fairly certain that I read in a period advert or book that the early cars had leather wrapped steering wheels. If I examine mine it seems that the insert around the front face is there to hold the leather in place (no stitching would be requited). I can see some bits of what appears to be a thin leather coating near some of the spokes. I thought this explained the dull finish of the wheel since it would be covered and I expect some adhesive would be used so a smooth finish would not be the route to go. Any input would be appreciated if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

Alex
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I don't know if i would trust an advert or book, most likely written by some non technical person that just looked at a black steering wheel and called it leather because it was not easily recognizable as anything else. I hope someone has a damage one that can take a close look and verify the material used.
The pictures attached are from an original, unrestored, low milage early dino wheel so I'm 99% sure that that is how it left the factory.
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

Hi Alex
I have restored my original steering wheel. They were indeed covered in leather and the leather was held in the middle by a thin black plastic strip.
the had parts to restore are the end pieces on the spokes. If they are too damaged you will have to reproduce them using 3d printing and polish them. I do have some extra plastic strips that i had cut using a cnc machine..
You will have to pick the proper leather thickness, but before that you should strip the leather out of your wheel and see what under it. the wheels were made of bakelite . that material de gaz over the years and becomes brittle..any decent wheel restoration shop should be able to fix that..
the leather is glued on and the plastic strip inserted in the channel in front.
hervé
croker

Post by croker »

I have sent you a pm, I am looking to restore my wheel too.
Thanks
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

responded to your Pm..