67 Coupe Paint Colour

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

500 Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: 67 Coupe Paint Colour

Post by 500 Dino »

Hi Klaus,

in truth I am not much further on. Yes, my coupe is more or less stripped ready for the paint shop, just the engine to get out and all the messy engine bay bits, at least the engine bay should be an easy satin black.
I agree with you in that Azzuro Mexico is not quite right, a little bright for my liking. I would still like to find info on the lighter Azzuro [like the Spider photo]. I have saved lots of photos of nice colours on other brands but I think I will find myself looking through the Fiat and Ferrari swatch cards at the paint shop and find one which seems to fit. By the way, my car was certainly Lilla, having stripped parts beyond any other respray, you can see the original colour; again, not a colour to reintroduce to the world.
I'll let you know what I go for and if I can match something from these images we have seen. I won't beat myself up if it a new colour because let's face it, you can't truly replicate the older colours anyway with the newer materials, there will always be an element of 'more or less'.

ps- do you mind me asking if your coupe has the captive nuts on the underside of the bonnet/hood for an engine bay liner? [see my other recent post, yet to get an answer from the forum]

Best regards
Graham
jtperry8sf9

Post by jtperry8sf9 »

Hi Graham,
I am very intrigued over your lilla color discovery! I would very much like to see any photo evidence of what you have found and if its anything like the shade I have imagined. I might not go for such a wild look, but Wow! My coupe, although now yellow, started life as a light blue (Azzuro Mexico 427?)! We should just trade cars!
Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Especially since you are of the mind that Lilla is "not a colour to reintroduce to the world".

Grazie,

John Pergolizzi
San Diego
but I spend half the year in Torino!
Attachments
IMG_6779 copy.jpg
jtperry8sf9

Post by jtperry8sf9 »

bump
jtperry8sf9

Post by jtperry8sf9 »

Hi guys,
So quite by accident I've discovered an original color chip for "Lilla"!
I posted in the Alfa Romeo Montreal Forum yesterday and it's some good info for all of us:

"A few months ago my auto painter recommended I go to TCP Global to get supplies and paint. My wife and I went, I asked about getting the original green for the car and the fella said he'd go in the back and look for the original color chip. Original?!?! 20 minutes later he hands me the ORIGINAL color chart! He then invites us into the back of the warehouse where "The Museum" is located and we unexpectedly met Jim “Jimmy Chips” Wells who runs TCP Global’s Auto Color Library. The color chip museum is absolutely amazing! I was looking for Verde 4917M.....found it! Please look at my lousy pictures below. Speak to Jimmy. Tell him "Johnny from Brooklyn" sent you!

Go to their website at https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

But first read this article: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-...-your-pontiac/

Their here in San Diego. No need for any further looking around!"

Remember that the Fiat Dino coupe and the Alfa Montreal were built side by side at the Bertone factory in Gruliasco outside of Torino, Italia.

After posting, I was surfing the TCP site looking for a chip of "Indianapolis Silver", the original color of my 68 Fiat Dino coupe. I then noticed the name of a very attractive light turquoise blue called "Turchese Farfalla" or "Turquoise butterfly". What a lovely name! But right above it on the chart is... LILLA #422! It only took two years! However lilla looks much more a periwinkle blue then a lilac to me, at least on the chip. The full color chip plate is at:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/ ... Car-Colors

Well, I hope you've enjoyed my little mini-adventure.

grazie,

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 6.36.23 PM.png
alfa-maledotcom_montreal_factory_08_zps3e3c7710.jpg~original.jpg
500 Dino

Post by 500 Dino »

Hi John,

thanks for posting the colour chart showing Lilla 422. I can confirm that was the colour of my 67 Coupe. At least on this monitor's screen, the shade is quite accurate. The oddest aspect is that it is just a lifeless shade, as it is not metallic, and on the full size car I can only imagine is was just not flattering. Periwinkle may have indeed been a more suitable name.

I elected to spray the Dino in Ferrari 592 Azzurro metallic, it's a period colour that is still on the cards today [literally].
Hopefully you can see the attached 3 photos, the car is on the road and running nicely but not all trim is back on yet [e.g. I have the sill strips to be bonded on]. The paint is a lovely sympathetic shade IMHO and often turns very silvery grey in failing or interior light - very shark like in colour, superb.

Sadly my Lilla is gone forever, I have obliterated it and all the other colours that were added on top over the years.

regards
Graham
Attachments
20190808_135455.jpg
20190628_192312.jpg
20190628_141017.jpg
20190826_180904.jpg
20190826_180323.jpg