Programmable MSD ignition in Dinoplex case.

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Programmable MSD ignition in Dinoplex case.

Post by Stefan2000 »

Spiderman wrote:Fantastic work, I really look forward to your updates, when this set up is installed in your car.

You should think about making this conversion available to us fellow Dino owners, am sure a lot of us would be interested.

Cheers
It would be nice to make it available for fellow Dino owners i admit. But right now the biggest problem is that it is very labor intensive to get the actual MSD case into the Dinoplex case. I have to machine the inside of the Dinoplex and the outside of the MSD case.
I'm thinking about when i will have new Dinoplex cases reproduced to change the mould and add some fixations where i can just mount the MSD circuit board on without the actual MSD case.

That 'cb' box sounds like an easy way to get an ignition without the mechanical advance.
luckyme
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by luckyme »

i put a msd box in my dino 2.0 spider and everything works but the tac and will not show the correct rpm only half of what the motor is turning any ideal to correct this to read correct rpm
thanks
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Yes and No.
First of all did you connect your tacho to the coil - terminal or to the grey tacho signal wire from the MSD?
Most likely (but this is based on what i have heard and read but not investigated myself) is that the original tacho requires a 12V square wave signal generated by the Dinoplex ignition. Many times the Dinoplex has been replaced with an inductive ignition system somewhere in the life of the car. People will than take the tacho signal from the coil - terminal which can or will damage the tacho because the voltage spike on the coil - is much higher than 12V.

It should work perfectly with the MSD signal. Someone i know also had an issue with his tacho and i solved the problem by making a new tacho circuit board for it, you can find it here: http://dinoplex.org/tachoconversion/index.html
All the info and files to make the circuit is in there,it has been designed by Adrian which is the moderator over here if i'm correct.
If that would be a good option for you to get the tacho working but you do not have the knowlegde or skills to make it, i had 10 sets of tacho circuits boards made and i have all the resistors and parts as well so i can help you out if needed.
20180630_171319.jpg