Coolant from head bolts

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

rfumian
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Coolant from head bolts

Post by rfumian »

I have a Fiat Dino Coupé 2400 and I have the problem that the coolant escapes through the head clamping bolts, can it be that the liquid is drawn through the threads of the studs? Are the studs seats communicating with the cooling circuit or can be a damage on the cilinder blok?
Thanks for the answers.
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Coolant from head bolts

Post by Tobi »

How do you detect this? Do you see it coming from the clamping bolts or do you just find coolant in the spark plug bores or on the cylinder head? It might also come from the aluminium plugs.
rfumian

Post by rfumian »

You can see back from the head bolt, the aluminum caps are ok, it may be that the studs communicate with the cooling circuit and the liquid draws from the thread?
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

No worries, the bolts go down into the water, so thats not a sign of head damage. From factory they were sealed. When I renewed them I also put seal paste onto the bolts but through some of them came also some water up. But now its sealed.
rfumian

Post by rfumian »

ThomasK wrote:No worries, the bolts go down into the water, so thats not a sign of head damage. From factory they were sealed. When I renewed them I also put seal paste onto the bolts but through some of them came also some water up. But now its sealed.
It's right, the sealant at the base of the prisoners gave way and the water went up through the thread, what kind of sealer did you use? Just a simple high temperature threadlocker?
Thank you
rfumian

Post by rfumian »

Repair carried out, I solved using Loctite Professional Bloccante Alta Resistenza, revised and reassembled all, thanks for the help.