Engine Up Grade

General Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Engine Up Grade

Post by Barnfind »

There is another option to consider. You can fit a Lampredi engine (the one used in 124s) It is a 4 cilinder, from 1600 to 2000cc, 95cv to 118 cv, easily tunable to 160cv, very easy to find and cheap. It has its own personality, and I really appreciate them in my other Fiats.
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

There is a guy called Jan Willem Franken on the Yahoo forum selling a 2L Dino engine with zero miles on a fresh rebuild. If you want to put your coupe back on the road this is the right option from every angle except, possibly, the money.
2400 Spider #1364
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

He has offered it a while ago.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=334&p=1544#p1544
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

If you have a car, you need an engine. It is a good opportunity to do things right now, before prices get insane (yes, more insane than they are now.)

There is another dino engine right now on ebay it, starting price 5100 eur, lacking the carbs, and in unknown condition..

Regards
mostromilano
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by mostromilano »

A couple of things....

1) yes I know someone who owns a Dino Spider with an American V8 in it. What exactly are you trying to determine?

2) The Alfa V6 would be a wonderful transplant option. It would make for a much more powerful car vs. the Dino engine without a devastating character blow. The Alfa V6 sounds fantastic, has alloy construction, oversquare design, etc - but it also has some clear advantages over the Dino engine more practically (putting aside completely the notion that the value to many is the original Dino engine in the car) such as inexpensive parts, it's very simple to work on and nearly maintenance-free, it utilizes wet-sleeve (iron) liners, better torque curve, etc. They are very robust (nitrided crank, oversize bearings, etc) and handle hard driving and regular trips to redline with aplomb. A well-known Alfista in the USA makes a gorgeous cast-aluminum bellhousing to utilize the inexpensive and reliable Alfa 5 speed gearbox (tipo 105/115) as a bolt-on solution. Exhaust in the Dino bay would be easy on the Alfa V6. You can also easily adapt a Maserati BiTurbo ZF (or similar ZF) unit to the Alfa V6. Both are far more durable than the original Fiat gearbox from the 2.0l. With a simple camshaft change, the Alfa V6 is comfortably over 200hp and will idle at 800 RPM and get 30+ mpg (at least in my Alfa sedan it does!). Forget about finding a Callaway Alfa engine, it is way rarer than any Dino engine. You could have a fully built 3.0L and fresh 5-speed tipo 105/115 gearbox w/ bellhousing, exhaust and cams for a fraction of the cost of a core Dino engine.. just a thought. Send me a message if you want more info about the Alfa engine idea generally because I have considered this exact transplant (if you couldn't tell already) and have a lot of the legwork done on research.

Better to put the Dino body back on the road and enjoyed in any form than to see it waste away or be recycled.
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Yes. Objetively it is full of advantages.. But, and this is only my opinion, a Dino without a Dino, does not makes a lot of sense to me..

I agree, the alfa powerplant is (or may be) better than the Dino.. But there are also good cars without a Dino heart, that can accept that alfa engine without regrets..

For me, the only thing that makes the Fiat Dino so special, is by far, its engine (Coupes I mean, there are other considerations in Spiders)

Again, just an opinion.
rossnzwpi
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by rossnzwpi »

The FIAT Dino is a whole package - engine and body (those fantastic Italian designers) and suspension. Read the great English car journalist LJK Straight on the topic of the 2400 Coupe - FIAT are capable of building the best car in the world, evidence their delicious Dino. (I'm paraphrasing here).

Having said all that I heartily agree that hybrids have a place. If you can't get your car on the road with a Dino engine, for whatever reason, then the Alfa V6 makes a great transplant. I wonder what the weight difference is between the Busso and the Dino?

I have the opposite problem - a Dino 2000 engine and no body! What should I put it into? My daily driver is an MX5.....
Ross in NZ
patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by patrizio »

rossnzwpi wrote:I have the opposite problem - a Dino 2000 engine and no body! What should I put it into?
Lotus Elise S1, no doubt ! 8-)
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

rossnzwpi wrote:I have the opposite problem - a Dino 2000 engine and no body! What should I put it into?
Maybe into a motorcycle like this guy?
http://www.supercompressor.com/rides/th ... asterpiece

What's next? A lawn mower?

I'd like to see it in a vintage Riva boat.
Dinofanwim

Post by Dinofanwim »

You can go to an enormous length with views about modifications of a car.
But I believe that a Dino should always remain a Dino.
A Spider or Coupé should remain as it is, and quite rightly, one important aspect of the car is its beautifully engineered V6 engine. (In my opinion the 2.0 l lightweight engine should remain in place and should never be donored to any other car, boat or plane for that matter!)
IMHO the less valuable 2.4 l engine with its cast iron block could be more subject to technical modifications. It should be noted that the 2.4 l cars also have the ZF gearbox, (identical to the one fitted to older Aston Martins) and the IRS, and should be more suited to make it special. (Pitty that several cars have been stripped of their engine for the more recent Lancia Stratos!)

Now if you really want to make something very special, why not shoehorn a V8 Dino engine into, let's say, a Donkervoort GTO? Performance wise, you could tune this engine up to their actual Audi 5 cil. engine, but with the song of a V8 Ferrari Dino engine! Wouldn't that be nice? :twisted: :twisted:

Btw, that has been my dream for a very long time! :P :P
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".