Fiat Dino Coupe 2000 for sale in UK

For Sale and Wanted (commercial postings will get you banned)

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Fiat Dino Coupe 2000 for sale in UK

Post by doublegarage »

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car ... 67/254485/

not mine, never seen it etc - but does look nicer in the pictures than some....

-Richard
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Fiat Dino Coupe 2000 for sale in UK

Post by Tobi »

Nice, but the price is insane. There is a similar Coupe if you look down the page that costs not even a third. There is also a Spider that costs nearly the same.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

But Tobi - these are not just "used cars" any more - the prices are changing rapidly, and a new group of people are interested in them. Those people will pay more for the best available - and whoever is selling this one believes that's what they have. I've no idea whether they're right or wrong, but as a dealer, you can't blame him for trying. I agree that the price is high - but not 'insane'.

We can't just look the price up in a book that comes out once per year.

-Richard
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

You're right, it's not insane, but still too much.
doublegarage wrote:We can't just look the price up in a book that comes out once per year.
But we can't also look up the prices by looking at the asking prices of some dealers. It would be much more interesting to see the selling prices.
robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by robmurray »

Sorry to reignite an old post but this car is still for sale and I looked at buying it. Apparently the paint job is "plasticky" whatever than means and it was originally white. In all other respects it is lovely, comes from a reputable dealer and it was recently favourably reviewed in Classic and Sportscar. I did not buy because of the price. I reckon it is worth about £22-25k or have I missed something with values?
What do you guys think it is worth?
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

The question what is a Dino worth is quite tricky - because its very important to define wich kind of Dino Coupe you think of - and I do not talk about 2000 or 2400.

I would say, a Coupe with a really rustfree and well done made bodywork (not only a respray over rust or over thick layers of filler),
a very good original or well done remade interiour
and with a revised and restored mechanic has to cost more than 30.000 Euros or even more and is worth this - just because these kind of work is so expensive on the Dinos.

BUT: as there are still Coupes for sale out there, that costs 20.000 Euros or even less, more than 30.000 seems to be pretty expensive.
But to bring a 20.000 Euro Coupe in a very good shape, meaning to restore engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes etc. and to get an excellent bodywork will let you end up in the above mentioned region.
Therefore an often heard advise is buy the best Coupe that you can get.

But then you have to be able to judge the quality of work that was done: is the engine restored like new, meaning new pistons, chains, valves etc.? I have often heard stories where a complete restored engine turned out to be fitted with new oil, chain tension was adjusted and the carbs were cleaned...
The same is for the bodywork - an unrestored rustfree Dino Coupe in 2014 is very hard to believe....

Of course a Coupe for 20.000 Euro can be in a good running shape and can bring lots of fun and can run another thousands of Km without trouble before some expensive work has to be made. Its a question for what you are looking - and if you drive a lot, repairs will come for sure - but with the reward of driving one of the most fascinating cars of the 60´s!

But again: to really restore a Coupe is far more expensive than to restore a Spider, because the body is far more complex (and solid). So from my point of view prices of 30kEuro or more for really good examples are OK - but will not or very rarely be sold as there are still running mid price Coupes around.

So, a Coupe for 50.000 Euro is quite unusual, but I believe in a few years you won´t get one for less than 30.000 Euro.

Keen to hear your comments on that :-)

KR, Thomas
croker
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by croker »

Also, this car sold back in may at auction for 22k I believe, so the dealer is trying to turn a good profit ;)