Nice looking 2L Spider at Dorotheum

For Sale and Wanted (commercial postings will get you banned)

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Nice looking 2L Spider at Dorotheum

Post by HugoHarris »

https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/6836416/
Does anyone know this car? It looks generally nice to my eye, though there are one or two things that are obviously wrong.
2400 Spider #1364
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Nice looking 2L Spider at Dorotheum

Post by Argonaut »

Hi Hugo,

I know this car; it was just coming out of the restauration. And I do know the guy who did the restauration for the seller.

In general, I would say... for this price... it is hard to find a better early 2000 spider.

Best Regards

Argonaut
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

It certainly looks absolutely stunning. In my opinion this is one of the best colours on a Spider. On first sight the rear badging and a couple of other cosmetic details looked wrong to my eye but I am no expert on early Spiders so my comment may be unwarranted. I hope it attracts the sale price it deserves.
2400 Spider #1364
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Major drawback to me is the interior. It's pretty nice work and fine leather, but those cars never looked like this when new. That's a problem with many otherwise good restaurations. I think, this is overrestoring.
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

The spider was sold for 159,800.- Euro plus 15% fee.
It seems that the buyer liked the restauration work and the early dashboard and did not care about interior details and wrong steering wheel.
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Argonaut »

Is this really plus 15% fee... or the overall price for the vendor?
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Argonaut wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 am Is this really plus 15% fee... or the overall price for the vendor?
The website says: ** Purchase price incl. charges and taxes
Still an impressive price ...
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Impressive result indeed. What pandemic?

I have always wondered why Dino Spiders had such basic interiors compared to the Bertone coupe. Towards the end of the production run I believe leather was offered as a factory option. It certainly suits the car. Despite being a departure from originality which I inherited from the previous owner I won't be switching mine back to vinyl!
2400 Spider #1364
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

The Spider is at least a class below the Coupe in every aspect except the engine and the susprnsion. It doesn't even have a roof :)
I've also inherited a leather interior from the previous owner. However, I'd like to have the original velour seats. But this is hard to realise.
Dino1239

Post by Dino1239 »

I don't think Fiat sold any spiders with a leather interior at the time. The previous 1200/1500/1600S OSCA cars were the same, leather was only available on the coupe's. In the Petrolicious flick with the yellow spider, the owner seems to think it was for practical reasons, Fiat perhaps worried about leather seats getting wet, vinyl was a better solution, owners might leave their roofs down when parking their cars at some groovy function and the interior could get soaked. I'd be more worried about the floors!