Dino engine on BAT

For Sale and Wanted (commercial postings will get you banned)

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Dino engine on BAT

Post by HugoHarris »

2400 Spider #1364
bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Dino engine on BAT

Post by bhiggins2 »

Does it belong to anyone on this forum? I want to ask them why they are selling it after rebuilding. Did anyone else think the engine sounded like the engine timing was a bit retarded with some hesitation with the throttle in the videos?
Ben.
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

There was something amiss. Probably just synchronization.
Group 2 Motorsports
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Group 2 Motorsports »

I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing "amiss" with either the engine, nor with the auction. (Don't you just LOVE conjecture?) This is how rumors get started. "Somebody said blah, blah, blah..." If you have a question, please just ask, rather than speculate.

Anyway, my name is John and I am available by phone if anybody would like to talk to me about the auction. My personal cell number is 425.949.9518.

I own an established European Automotive shop in the Seattle area called Group 2 Motorsports and this is our 20th year. About 8 months ago, we started a second location in Woodinville Washington (in the Northeastern suburbs of Seattle) and now that shop is ramping up nicely as well. The engine and transmission listed in the auction is available for viewing at our Seattle location. The chassis is not part of the auction however, the complete car is for sale and available for viewing at our Woodinville location.

A bit of history;
Group 2 Motorsports in Seattle is a broad resource that has always been focused on European brands, but we work on almost anything. Alfa Romeo and other Italian cars have been a big part of the story. My friend Joe English who founded the shop (and from whom I purchased it about seven years ago) passed away last year, but his passion for European cars and rallying was well known and lives on in the shop's DNA.

Myself, I grew up in South Africa where many Alfa Romeo models were actually assembled and I have owned (and still own) many Alfas over the years, so I have deep connections with the brand! I have been involved with G2 since inception 20 years ago as a customer, as a friend, as an advisor and as sort of an unofficial mascot of the brand. (I built my 3.7 litre 24 valve DTM-homage Milano race car there and as a member of the NWARC, was always very involved with the Club and track events - at one time also serving on the board as Vice President.)

While Group 2 is primarily a German-focused / BMW, Porsche, VW, M-B and Audi shop (on on the service side anyway), Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia and Fiat have always been a big part of the story for us! On the project side, we have built many street, street-track, dedicated track and full-race cars over the years. We have also restored many cars and the mechanical refresh of a customer's 2.0 Litre Fiat Dino Spider featured in the driving videos, is one of them!

In the course of our business, I have driven several Fiat Dino and Ferrari Dino examples (both 2.0 and 2.4 Litre models) and we support several of them for customers. I love these engines and the cars, so when the opportunity came up to buy a neglected 1967 2.0 Coupe, I jumped on it! Naturally, we started by pulling the engine and commencing the rebuild, since we also have a customer's Spider here for an engine rebuild.

Because of the City of Seattle Town CLOWNsel's neglect of our beautiful city and the resulting crime, we are actually considering moving the Seattle shop out of the Ballard / Magnolia area. As a result, I have have had to reel myself in a bit on projects - simply stated, I have too many and perhaps the Dino's chassis restoration is more than what I should be taking on right now.

I have decided to sell the engine since that is completed. The chassis is available separately and as-is.

My customer with the Spider was nice enough to offer his chassis as a test-mule of sorts for us to do a start up of my engine and to do some initial break-in, while we wait for his engine to come back from the machine shop. We have put some initial miles on the engine to seat the rings and I am happy to report that it is running beautifully.

The cam timing is spot on and the ignition timing was kept somewhat conservative so that we don't have any detonation while doing low-rpm / deep-throttle pulls, during the break-in period. We first started the car up on the customer's carburetors to verify how the motor ran (because his ran so well prior to removal) and then once we cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, we moved them over and finished the break-in.

We also used my clutch kit, flywheel and transmission for the videos (which will all ship with the engine.)

As far as a motor - open up the website for Superformance in Europe and just start loading the shopping cart if you'd like to see what a rebuild costs on one of these! Everything is best of the best and every single gasket, seal and o-ring is brand new! I bought larger diameter stainless steel valves, brand new rings, bearings - you name it!

Anyway, below is a link to the auction! it closes today at 2:00PM PST.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-fiat-dino-16/

Feel free to call me with any questions - 425.949.9518.