Wanted: Fait Dino Coupe

For Sale and Wanted (commercial postings will get you banned)

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

AlexandreG
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Wanted: Fait Dino Coupe

Post by AlexandreG »

Hi all,

I am willing to buy a Fiat Dino Coupe.

1. Is there anybody here selling one?
2. Is there a big difference between the 2l and the 2.4l? I read that the 2l could have a some sticky clutch issues.
3. Is there any good advise that one could give me to buy the right car.

Thanks

Alexandre
Alex Jupe
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Wanted: Fait Dino Coupe

Post by Alex Jupe »

Hi Alexandre,

As a drivers car I would recommend the 2.0. it is much lighter over the front wheels, making for nicer steering with better feel, less understeer and a generally more balanced and sporting feel than the 2.4. Don't pay too much heed to the fact it has a live rear axle while the 2.4 is independent as only really poor road surfaces show it up. Also, while it is correctly known for having a weaker gearbox than the 2.4, the gear change is LEAGUES ahead of the notchy, stiff feeling ZF boxes in the bigger engine cars. Finally look around examples of both and take in the much more pleasing detailing and styling subtleties of the 2.0 cars I think you will be convinced. I would suggest that you go and find good examples of both to drive before making your final decision so you end up with what feels right for you as at the end of the day, this is just my feeling about these cars.

Good luck with your search, I hope to see what you end up with on here soon!

Cheers,

Alex
AlexandreG

Post by AlexandreG »

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for your reply and happy to know that the 2.0l is a good choice as I was somewhat biased toward the 2.4l .
It is true that the dashboard of the 2.0 is nicer. I kind of prefer the 2.4 front grill though. There are not so many for sale out there and the price are often surprisingly high compare to the rates I've read about. I was expecting around 16-18 k€ and I often see 30 and above. Not so easy for me to find the good one as I am fairly new to classic cars. To be honest I just fell in. Love with how beautiful and cool this car looks, plus it's great engine it makes it a very desirable car.

Alexandre
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

The dashboard of the 2000 is much nicer than the one of the 2400. All details that distinguish the two cars are a little bit nicer on the 2000. Technically, however, the 2400 is more mature. Regarding the price, there is often a big difference between the price requested and the price achieved.
The Dutch Dino

Post by The Dutch Dino »

Aha, so you got the virus also. :D
Well, normally the advice is to buy the best car you can afford. Although they are no MG B or TR6, they are not overly complicated. The thing is that parts are scarce, so buy a complete one if you want to be on the road with it.
If you like searching for parts, and all the interaction in this community and on ebay that comes with that, then you may want to source a car needing a bit more. Generally, if you buy a 10k€ resto project, you're 15k away from a 20k car. If prices hold up. But you can get lucky. Just go and look at every car in your area. Find what is right for you. Maybe find an owner that wants to let it go to a good home, or needs to sell it. You might be lucky.

Have a look at websites like superformance.co.uk to get an idea what is available in parts and at what prices.
If you are new to classic maintenance or normal car maintenance, then you have two choices: budget for restoration or maintenance costs, or dive in at te deep end. You may want to budget for a good garage and toolset. These are not cars to be kept out in the open.

The 2 or 2,4 debate is a matter of personal taste. Although I think both are very beautiful cars and I would welcome both in my stable. Somehow I ended up with two 2,4 cars, but that was because the first was the best that was on offer and it had had an earlier restoration. The second was offered to me as a resto project. But if it was a 2 liter, then that would have been fine as well.

With the first one I tempted fate a bit. It had a crunching diff (turned out to be the wrong oil), bad paint (cut and polished it to a reasonable look), some rough exhaust popping (ignition tuning) and various small bits like a broken motor mount. Expect that it will need work. Do not think the one you buy will need nothing. But mine was driven for years after I fixed the initial stuff for less than 500 euros. So, consider me lucky,
Dealers usually command a premium price. There are not many around so go and look at every car (2 or 2,4) you can before buying. They usually are on offer some time before they sell, so do not rush into it. 2,4 engines can take quite a beating also, so dont be too scared. You can spend more on a crappy 124 spider than on a solid Dino. Don't ask me how I know. :roll:

Just remember: there is no such thing like 'a bit of rust' on these things. If you see it, there is more.
Happy hunting! Hope this helps. And remember to switch off emotions when you switch on the car for a test drive. ;)
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
AlexandreG

Post by AlexandreG »

Thanks Leo for your interesting advise. So according to you there is no way I could keep this car in the street, even with a cover?
I have found this one which looks reasonably priced. What is your opinion?
http://www.leparking.fr/tools/325VQ3B1/0/T/3.html
The Dutch Dino

Post by The Dutch Dino »

A dry and safe place is the way to store it, not the street. And you will be doing work on it. Count on it. A garage is highly advised if you have any classic, let alone a Dino. Any Fiat in the street from that era turns into a brown crunchy pile of rust. Any moisture is bad. Storing it under a cover can make it worse as moisture is trapped and the car can get damp.

So your searching may have to be for a garage first, then buy the Dino.
But take your time and view some Dinos while you search for a place to store it.

The one you found looks like it is worth to have a look at:
-it may have had a respray judging by the non original black coloured engine side vents
-luckily it was not sprayed in 'resale red'
-no fake ferrari badges or any other non original stuff
-interior looks nice and original
-original steering wheel, original fiat horn push button on it
- wheels look nice with original hubcaps.

Unfortunately no engine pictures or underside pictures.
-look for any rust in sills and behind the front wheels. And along rear edges of fenders and rear wheel wells.
-look for original dinoplex ingition box next to the engine
-check if eninge looks normal, not too clean, just normally used, not too much oil weepimg, although it probably is not dry.
- have a compression test done
- check all fluids, check for oil in water and vice versa, check for too much blue smoke on start up ( worn valve guides) etc etc
-the engine hood in the pictures looks like it has not been closed. Check if it closes properly with good shut lines, no gaps like in the picture.
-check receipts for work done. No receipt for parts = assume work was not done. A detailed file means a careful owner and is a plus.
-drive it, see if owners cares to warm it up before revving it. Check regular things like synchros on gears, rough running, rattling noises, misfires, etc etc. Remember these are not quiet cars. You will here valves tapping, the engine whining, and a symphony of sounds when you pull hard and rev it.
- check for fresh underspray: do not trust it. Etc etc. All the normal advice.
- wipers look a bit out of place. Owners can do this to prevent them clapping together and hitting each other. Probably just adjustment needed.

View and drive more before buying. Go home after viewing. View two times. You will see much more things the second time. On the second view your brain can focus on details, rather than all the input it has to process on the first visit like the owner, the surroundings, the first impressions, your emotions,etc.

But please please do not keep it on the street. :!: Do not buy without a garage. Buy a cheaper daily driver classic if you want to do that, like a late eighties or early nineties alfa spider or another alfa. Plenty of them around. Fun to drive on a budget, with great parts supply. Or get a lancia thema 8.32 or something if you want to go exotic. But not a dino on the street...
YMMV. Buy at own risk. Etc etc.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
Jos_2400

Post by Jos_2400 »

Sorry, needs to get my opinion in now as being an owner of both a Fiat Dino Coupe and Lancia Thema 8.32…..

Both should not being stored or parked on the street….. even not in a sunny country as Dashboards would being destroyed by the rich sun UV-rays!!!

All classics cars should be stored inside at a dry and temp-stable place!!

With respect to the 2000 or 2400 choice; looking for a more "daily" driver (a dino coupe is not a daily driver at all!!!) the 2400 is a better choice.
As Tony already stated; more mature and better developed; yes, the dash is looking more sexy in a 2000 but the outside is the the same!

If you want a reel driver for classic events; choice the all Alu 2000 V6!!

But what do I know, being Dutch working in Switerland. living in France and love Italian live-style :lol:
rossnzwpi

Re: Wanted: Fiat Dino Coupe

Post by rossnzwpi »

All good advice! I'd be happy with either 2.0 or 2.4 and, given that you are not likely to see many of either, why not go with the best quality one you can find whether it is the bigger engine or smaller engine? Choose based on condition - you'll be happy with either! Rain, snow, sun and a cover outdoors does equal rust I'm afraid, as well as cracks in plastic (light lenses, dashboards....)
Best of luck with your search and Merry Christmas from sunny, warm, perfect for driving a spider. New Zealand
Ross
Emanuel H
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Emanuel H »

I owned a first-hand 2400 coupe and sold it because I had a wonderful Citroen DS 21 Pallas from 1967 I first wanted to get back on the street. The day I sold my Dino, I was already sorry and started looking for another one. I then made the ultimate mistake, buying a lonely 1971 coupe which had been standing in a shop for over 20 years, with all of the chrome trims removed and lying in the trunk and the door panels missing. The trims were unfortunately not complete (despite the seller warranting completeness), and finding them was, well, an interesting journey. The 20 years in dry storage however have helped preventing rust from appearing.

Since it became obvious that it would take me a long time to get the car back onto the streets, I started looking for a Spider, and I wanted a 2.4.

In Italy, I found an early Series 1 Spider 2.0 in a beautiful dark green color, and I have never been sorry I "only" got the 2.0. The car is rust free and runs smoothly since day one.

What I tell you, everybody will tell you: Buy the best you can get; make sure it is complete (looking for spares may be part of the hobby, but ...); trust your gut feeling when it comes to car and seller; and the bottom line: you will fall in love with this car, regardless whether it is the 2.0 or 2.4. As to daily driver: I use my cars to drive to work in the summer, I think this is best for them.