Cracked dash repairs

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

rkjcooper1
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Cracked dash repairs

Post by rkjcooper1 »

Has anyone come up with a genius way to repair the problematic cracked dash's that almost all the coupes have?
robmurray

Re: Cracked dash repairs

Post by robmurray »

I'm not sure whether you are talking about the wood inserts or the dash itself. I'm told that the way to repair the inserts (one of mine is cracked) is to epoxy the crack and then get it covered in wood effect film and then varnish. You have to do all panels to get a match. If the dash itself, I see two options - a good interior detailer could probably do an invisible repair (glue, fill, paint). Alternatively mine (2000 Coupe) has been covered in leather. This would not have been my choice because not original but it looks quite good.
Rob
MaseratiSD
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by MaseratiSD »

My issue is the black plastic on the top of the dash, wood in my car is excellent....which amazes me since the rest of the interior is shot.

If anyone has suggestions for fixing the black plastic I'm interested.
fdus172

Post by fdus172 »

I had the same problem, but found a guy in town who does interior repair. He uses some type of glue/plastic and was able to repair the cracks and even match the pattern. I found him through the interior shop that rebuilt my seats.

Rick Wohleber
Dublin Ohio
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

I have tried filling the cracks with epoxy bumper filler (A 3M product), then sanding and painting with brush-on truck bed liner.

The results were good. However, I did not get adequate thickness when applying the truck bed liner. Small cracks are developing.