Dino rubber

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Dino rubber

Post by doublegarage »

My 2400 Coupe needs a left-side vent window rubber - the triangular, complex shape that goes around the small, opening vent window (aka quarterlight etc.) Mine is completely rotted and I now have duct-tape covering the gap. :oops:

I've been in contact with Cicognani about this part, which they do have on their website - part number 12176131. http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Fiat ... x-12176131

However, they don't have them in stock. In 2012 they were "rebuilding the tooling". In 2013 they had had "several slowdowns on the tooling work but they hoped it would be ready in a couple of months". I asked them to keep me informed.
In 2014 they didn't reply to me - but I asked a couple of USA distributors of their parts (Mr. Fiat, VeloceSpace) to ask them on my behalf - they each were told that the part was still unavailable. And again in 2015.

Note that, pretty much anyone who supplies rubber parts for Italian cars is buying them from Cicognani - Mr Fiat, Dinoparts, and all the Alfa guys and Elvezio etc. etc. Their rubber is excellent quality and usually fits. Highly recommended: http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Fiat ... 00-121-d76

So what we have here is a supply/demand problem - and I'm wondering whether anyone would like to help me increase the demand. My left-side seal is completely shot, it has crumbled away. I would be happy to buy the pair. 320euro for a pair (160euro each side) is cheaper than not buying it at all. If anyone needs these, please comment below and I will try to have Cicognani work on their tools again.

Thanks a lot,

-Richard
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Dino rubber

Post by Tobi »

DinoParts has it on their page:
http://www.dinoparts.eu/DE/fiat-coupe-s ... ckscheibe/
It's a bit strange. If you switch to English, it is not listed. Maybe send them a mail.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Tobi,

They are buying from Ciognani - who also have it on their page, as does Mr Fiat - but when they go to order from Cico.... then there is a problem.

But I will try Dinoparts again, last time I asked them they didn't have it in stock.

thanks again,

-Richard
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

I can imagine that having stuff like this reproduced (on a high quality level) will become very difficult for low production cars. As a company to make a decent profit out of something like this prices will be outrageous. Even at €160 you should sell more than 30 - 40 pieces to only cover the costs I guess.
I had quite some (rubber) parts reproduced for different cars, every time there were a bunch of people in need of that part and once produced (and knowing the price) there were only 2 or 3 people left. Stuff like this is so time consuming, mold manufacturing costs are high and before it's really 100% you need to change the mold about 3 times (if your lucky and you don't need a complete new mold)
We'll let's just hope they will start producing stuff like this again.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Stefan,

Okay, I would normally agree - but this situation is different. We would be trying to get the company - whose sole business is making low-volume, slow-moving rubber parts for Italian cars - to make us some parts. They used to make these parts and already have tooling for it, but it broke or wore out. This is what they do.

Just for illustration, they make vent-window seals for Maserati Ghiblis - and windscreen seals for the Iso Fidia, a much rarer car than any Fiat Dino. It amazes me that someone can do that, but I'm very glad that they do.

-Richard
fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by fdus172 »

Wow - I must have gotten the last of the shelf items. Ordered both sides in Nov. 2012 and received them shortly after.... The good news ( if they do restart production ) is that the fitment is almost perfect...

Rick Wohleber
Portland Oregon
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Hmm, sorry for the false alarm, I made one final check with Cicognani and the part is now available again. At least the end result is good news. Also ordered a boot/trunk seal.

So,I have placed my order and will send a picture of what shows up.

Thanks for the help,

-Richard
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

I said I would follow up on what I received, but unfortunately for now, the news is not too good.

First the vent window rubber ("deflettore").
This piece was too long in the horizontal dimensions, which caused the rubber to be distorted when forcing it into the channel. The vent-glass itself therefore does not fit very well, and leaves an air-gap at the leading edge due to inadequate overlap with the window.
risultato sinistra .JPG
Then the trunk/boot seal - the version supplied had a base (the section that grips the metal seam around the trunk) that was too tall, resulting in the trunk/boot being very hard to close and placing the boot-latch under excessive force.

Therefore, I have been communicating with Cicognani, the maker of these rubber parts near Bologna, and have shipped back to them my original left-side vent window seal and a small section of the original boot seal in the hope that they can adjust their tooling etc. for more accurate parts. The old parts arrived there today and I hope to hear from them in the next few weeks about whether anything can be done.

I have bought parts for many cars from Cicognani over the years and can confirm that when they get things right they are extremely right. Worth waiting for.

-Richard
1971 2400 Coupe