steering damper

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

mountainman
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

steering damper

Post by mountainman »

Hi Guys

I am re commissioning a 2000 spider that has been off the road for ten years.... Rebuilding the front suspension and steering all going well except that my steering damper part no 4170712 has a serious crack on the bottom of the body.... I am considering a welding repair, Does anyone know if this is a common problem or I am just unlucky... Does another model car use the same part...... Thus far I have not been able to find out.

Any advice welcome.... Thanks
Dinoswede

Re: steering damper

Post by Dinoswede »

The main problem with the steering damper 4170712 is that it is leaking out the oil because of an aging sealing.
I don´t think cracks are a common problem. Unfortenately, the Dino is the only car using this part, and I have
considered it being obsolete for many years. But - just now I found out Dinoparts.de in Germany is listing it!!

Dinoswede
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

Hi Dinoswede

Where the seal sits that is where it coming apart, I will contact Dinoparts an see if they really have one.. Otherwise an aluminium welding guy and perhaps re-machining.

Best
ttc46
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ttc46 »

hI mountainman,

I also have a problem with this piece on my coupe 2400; mine has the axe broken.
The 2400 use the same 4170712 piece.
If I find one piece, I can give you mine; the body is in perfect condition.

Regards
Thierry
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Did you gentlemen resolve your problems? The FIAT 124 Spider and Coupe have exactly the same problem with many examples of steering damper housings cracking or breaking. I think that because 124s would do many more kilometres the problems show up more than on the Dino. The dampers can be dismantled, cleaned and refilled with ATF or hydraulic oil but note that they need to be bled. The root cause is the lower seal failing and this is the resolution as long as your original housing is OK.

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic ... 14&t=30353
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

I have done this overhauling of the steering damper with a modern rubber seal
(31 x 20 x 7 mm), and it is working very well. Furthermore, I have tested
different oil qualities, and I can recommend using a SAE 140 rear axle oil,
which gives a very good damping effect, compaired with thinner oils and
brake fluids. Important is, air-bleeding the damper very carefully, turning it
from stop to stop many times - at least 50 - 60 times (!) to get all air out .
The damper must be bled in vertical position and the top oil screw taken
away - you can not do this with the damper in the car!

Dinoswede
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Respectfully suggest 140 might be too heavy. A 75-90 gear oil or 50W hydraulic oil is the highest I'd go. Your choice however
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Concerning the SAE oil viscosity classifying system, I guess you all are aware of that engine oils
and gearbox/differential oils are not labeled with the same "values".
For example - an SAE 140 Gear oil is in the same viscosity class as an SAE 50 engine oil, more
or less.
The problem with a "shaking steering wheel" depending on a bad steering damper, is perhaps
not so obvious, if driving mostly on roads with perfect surfaces. For me, it was an increasing
problem, though.
After I had tried both DOT4 brake fluid and SAE 10W-40 engine oil, with a not-so-good result,
I decided trying a somewhat thicker fluid. (I could have choosen a SAE 50 single grade motor oil,
but as I had no luck finding it in small quantities, I therefore went for the SAE 140 single
grade gear oil, instead.)
If planning to use your car in sub-zero degrees, you have an obvious option - SAE 85W-140 gear
oil, which is adapted to cope with low temperatures, as well.
With the SAE 140 gear oil in the steering damper, and the car lifted up on axle stands, I can
freely spin the steering wheel fast - from side to side - without feeling any excessive resistance,
compared to before. I guess the high gearing ratio through the steering mechanism still is
overtaking the damping resistance, by far.
Well, all this is only my experience...
It would be interesting to know, what the steering damper was filled with, from factory?

Dinoswede
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Yes, different types of oil use different viscosity standards and the best way to compare oils of different families is to look for compare centistokes (cSt) in the product data sheets.

I'd think FIAT would have used a hydraulic oil similar to a damper oil or fork oil. A key attribute is to have resistance to foaming and this is where ATF is also very good.
akormis
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by akormis »

Ho everyone Im repairing a steering damper and I was unable to make it work. Does anyone a assambley drawing or a guide of every part of it and how the fit?
Thanks a lot

Andreskormis@yahoo.com