replacing front suspension upper and lower arm bushings

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

replacing front suspension upper and lower arm bushings

Post by dinoverde »

I would like to know if anyone on this board has ever replaced the front bushings on the upper and lower arms. I know i probably could take it to my machine shop..but where would be the fun and frustration that comes with this task.
I was able to press out the bushings using a regular hydraulic press, but i have a very difficult time figuring out how to install the front upper arm bushings. Because of the slanted cut out i can't figure out how to drive the bushing into place. What tools should i get? Anyone has any idea how it was done at the factory(factory tool?). The rear bushing can be installed fairly easily using either a vise or the press, since it has a flat edge, but the front one is a different story.. any suggestions from someone who has actually done it would be greatly appreciated...(i already damaged a set of bushings and would like to give it one more shot..before i give up..)
Hervé
Attachments
IMG_2598.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg
Robert
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: replacing front suspension upper and lower arm bushings

Post by Robert »

Hervé, I had this done just a few weeks ago by my meccanico , he used a standard hydraulic press and obviously had no problems getting the bushings in - he used some scrap metal part as a "go-between" (between control arm and press). I'd done it myself, but I don't have a press, only a vice which wasn't suited for this task. Don'tz know if this info is helpful, but at least it might be encouraging.
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

Hi Robert
The rear bushing is not that complicated to install, but the front one requires a bit more .. Taking it out is fairly easy because there his a lip o rest against, but putting it back will probably require to machine a very thin tube to support the arm so the bushing can be pressed in,, I have not yet figured out how to do it myself...
Ask your mechanics how he was able to press the front one in(I do have a press)..I would like to know what he used to support the front part with the slanted cut out..
Thanks
Hervé
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

till trying to figure out how to replace that front bushing on the upper control arm. Can't believe that not one person on this forum has don't it before..
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

I've never done it with a dino arm but I've done several different ones.
I think it's a matter of having (making) the right bushes and spacers to get them in. If you can make a bushing (preferably on a lathe) that will make it possible to press against the flange of the silent block, and make another one for the opposite side you might be able to get a bolt thru it with a nut on the other side to pull it in.
Heating the swingarm with a flame torch (off course not toooo hot), some grease and most of the time it should go in.
Good luck
Tomasir

Post by Tomasir »

Hello Herve,
I've replaced all the bushes on my 2400 Coupe, including the forward bush on the top A-arm, the one which is partially shrouded. I simply went to a local scrap metal merchant and bought a piece of steel tube of the right diameter to sit on the "socket" part of the A-arm and, with the help of a load of thick washers and some sturdy bolts, all the bushes came out.
I bent a load of washers and stripped the thread on several bolts in the process, but they all gave up the fight eventually!
No heat was used, it just takes a bit of determination.
I would be interested to know what sort of Spring Compressor you used to remove the road springs.
Tomasir

Post by Tomasir »

Hello Herve,
Should have read your post more carefully! To get the new bushes in I used the same process: a bit of pipe, some washers and bolts, and a lot of swearing.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Tomasir wrote:I would be interested to know what sort of Spring Compressor you used to remove the road springs.
You might use a spring compressor suited also for classic Mercedes-Benz cars ("Klann" type, ebay clones do the job quite well):

Federspanner.jpg
Works fine for front springs, not required for rear springs.
Tomasir

Post by Tomasir »

Thanks Robert, most helpful.
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

I finally had a a 26mm socket machined and using a large U clamp on the vise, it is now possible to finish this job.
To remove the rear bushing on the upper arm, I recommend removing the front bushing first.I also recommend using large vise grips(with curved jaws) to use as a spacer between the arm and the support tube, when using a press. That way you can supportive arm around the metal opening.
An hydraulic press is definitely a must with this old bushings
I purchased a set of front suspension upper arm from Mr fiat(the upper left one had been rewarded in the past). They are totally correct for the car except that the bushings were too old and I chose to remove and replaced. I recommend using superformance bushings.
If anyone needs a right upper control arm to replace a used one, send me an email i have a couple in excellent condition(without the bushings or with old bushings)..
The car should be painted in the next couple weeks(bare shell restoration ..4 years have already past this i started this project..)
It is going to be a beauty..but much work to do..
Hervé