Brake pad indicator

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Vravolta
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Brake pad indicator

Post by Vravolta »

While reading the french user manual of my 2400 Dino Coupé, it states that should the brake pad be worn, the brake light should remain on when the hand brake is off (and that light should flash when hand brake is on). Problem: there is nothing like a wire that goes from brake pads to the brake light on my car. Does anyone has one ? And if yes, does someone knows if there might be an explaination why this is not on my car? Something linked to the market where it was originally sold (italy for mine)?
ThomasK

Re: Brake pad indicator

Post by ThomasK »

The Original brake pads have a "Sensor" and a cable that connects then to a cable going to the Red light. The Sensor is Nothing Else than a ground connection when the Pad is so Worn that the Sensor connects to the brake Disk.
There are brake pads with and without cable available.
Is the red light flashing when handbrake is one?
This is the Same light but the electric wiring is different and has nothing to do with the brake pads.
Vravolta

Post by Vravolta »

My issue is that there is nothing on my to connect a wire comming from the pad. So I was wondering if for some unknown reason this part of my car had been removed or if it was originally delivered this way. May be that brakepad light was not mandatory on some markets or not available on all model years?
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

Some of the early 2400 did not have the brake indicator wiring and neither the assisted brake air pump.
Is you car a 1969?
Hervé
Vravolta

Post by Vravolta »

My car is Coupé #5057, thus manufactured end of 1971. The thing is that I see no reason why someone would have removed all that wiring so well that it cannot be suspected it was there one day. And I do have the brake assistance pump.
The only reason I my car wouldn't be equipped is that some markets might not need that feature and thus that Bertone would have removed it from those cars. My car seems to have ben sold first in Italy (not sure about that: I'm sure that it was not born in Switzerland where it is now registered as car coming from other country are tagged as foreign origin cars and as there is a sticker under the armrest written in italian with the various numbers of assistance, I think this is a clue the country of birth was Italy). Don't know if this might have been a market where this could have not been mounted. Another option is that when Bertone was current wire harnesses, he was using some old ones from his stock?
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

I have a 1969 spider 2.4 . the car never had the vacuum assisted brake system.Never had the brake pad indicator wiring, and the car uses a 2 liter wiring harness somewhat modified for the early 2.4 liter cars. The trunk area is also different from the later 2.4 spiders.
There were many more coupes produced that spiders so things got more stream lined at Bertone. The spiders were assembled along side the Ferrari Dinos and were much more of a prototype car. The early spiders used 2 liter bodys that were modified to accept the rear independent suspension. I have taken many pictures of my car after stripping the car completely. It is very obvious that it was first destined to be 2 liter car with the solid axle transmission and that it was modified to receive the IRS. There are slight differences in many of the spiders and probably with the coupes as well..
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

I am not aware of any differences in equipment varying by markets. My Coupe is a 71 and has the brake pad indicator wiring. Its delivery was to Italy. Although when I got the car the wiring was not original, the brake pads had no indicators and the cable for connection to the indicator cable was well hidden.

I guess something similar on your car. The cable should be somewhere at the top of the engine bay close to where heating pipes went through to the passenger compartment and the same on the driver side.
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

Here a picture of my not connected cable on driver side (the orange one) due to brake pads without indicator (EBC).
Attachments
20170723_221901.jpg
Vravolta

Post by Vravolta »

I've discovered another strange thing: on the french user manual, page 4, they say the second key of the car is for the doors, the trunk and the glovebox. But my glovebox only has a push button, without any way to lock it. Is this another specificity of my car or is there someone else that has the no lock version of the glovebox?
The more I look at my car, the more specificities I find on it...
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, I have a 71 coupe and can assure you it has the wires to the brake pads and that the small door key works for the trunk and glovebox. Appart from the yellow lights for France, I do not think there was anything different for that market.

best,

Dario