which wheels

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

vlad
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

which wheels

Post by vlad »

Below are the 3 options I have for wheels for my car,

Currently I have the 16" Cromadora reproductions on the car. (bottom pic.)

The car is under going a restoration / repaint - and I have changed the colour to Gigiro Silverstone.

I have the original wheels (see middle pic. when the car was wearing these) - I'd get them repainted, without the black segments.

Or a set of Campagnolas (top pic.) - (the Bloemdaal car ) this would be pretty much how my car will then look (though I have a different colour interior
Attachments
blomendal.JPG
dino before reto orig wheels.JPG
before resto new wheels.JPG
before resto new wheels.JPG (29.24 KiB) Viewed 9952 times
Last edited by vlad on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luis A

Re: which wheels

Post by Luis A »

I'm a stickler for originality so of course I vote for the original Cromodoras (middle picture) WITH the black segments, which is how the 2400s came from the factory. It seems most people delete the black segments when they paint the wheels so original style painted wheels actually stand out. I like the pattern; it gives it a more 'dynamic' look, a bit like the classic Fuchs 911 wheels.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Thanks Luis , hhhmmmmm….. yes totally get the originality argument.

Funny years ago at a car show I heard 2 scrutineers arguing over the merits of the black segment - yes originality so marks not lost - but one of the guys really didn't like them maybe now my car is Grigio Silverstone they'll look different (not so heavy on the car when it was green I wasn't a fan)

…..Does anyone know if the Campanaglos could be ordered from new when purchasing a Dino ? - Would help the case for originality :)
vlad

Post by vlad »

Also regarding the hubcaps , what are the thoughts about painting them black (as I believe they should be ?)

To my mind the correct coupe 'domed' hubcaps of the 2400 don't look very good painted -- I always though the spider type hubcaps with their recessed area would take the black painted area better, if I was to keep the black painted segments.

In my middle picture I have a spider hubcap on the rear and a coupe one on the front (neither painted).

Of course the Campangalos don't require a hub cap!

…..decisions, decisions...…………..
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

[quote="vlad"]

…..Does anyone know if the Campanaglos could be ordered from new when purchasing a Dino ? - Would help the case for originality :)[/quote]

Yes, the Campagnolos could definitely be ordered from Fiat when new - at least for the Dino 2400, not for the 2000.
rossnzwpi
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by rossnzwpi »

My two cents worth, if you're not bothered by originality is
  • original Cromodora CD1 without black paint and with 135BS spider hub caps
    original Cromodora CD1 without black paint and with Ferrari 246 GT caps, exposing the bolts
    16" Campagnolo reproductions
:)
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

Vlad, your coupe will wear Grigio Silverstone with style - the best colour on a coupe in my opinion. I would stick with the original wheels and hubcaps but delete the black segments. Original hardware, just colour changes, the purists can’t be too offended by that! What tyres are you going with in the end?

Next week my 2400 Spider is being repainted Grigio Argento #605 following a bare metal resto. I think you’re in the UK as well, would be awesome to get our silver beauties together one day - I’m aiming to get to Goodwood Revival this year!
2400 Spider #1364
vlad

Post by vlad »

Thanks for all your replies, looks there isn't a lot of love for the oversize 16" comadora repos.

Are the approaching 50 year original cromadoras safe to run, mine seem to be in good condition, but 50 year old mag.alloy ? If I were to get them stripped and repainted without the blacked out segments, is there anywhere you can recommend in the UK.

I understand they should be dow ? primed before painting, I am not sure my normal go to wheel people Lepsons are equipped for that.

And of course once I get them back the £280 a corner for new rubber is a bit daunting, (I can get my modern Porsche 911 shod with premium Michelin tyres for less!)

C'est La Vie - I guess only the best for the old gal

Hi Hugo - yes based south east england, never done Goodwood, will investigate, aiming to take her to AutoItalia (4th May this year)
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

vlad wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:36 pm Thanks for all your replies, looks there isn't a lot of love for the oversize 16" comadora repos.
In my humble opinion, the 16'' wheels are a no-go. They look very odd with their low-section tyres on a Dino.
Guys, come to Goodwood Revival. Highly recommended! See you there!
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Hi Vlad, could you tell us how the Coupe is to drive/ behaves with the 16" wheels?
BC5222