New Owner questions

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

PCarter
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

New Owner questions

Post by PCarter »

Hi. I am a new owner and have a couple simple questions that I cannot find answers to using the search function.
My car seems to have knock-offs; something I am totally unfamiliar with. These is no hammer, either. Is there a source for the correct hammer? I am assuming the passenger side is unscrewed counterclockwise and the drivers side clockwise. Am I correct in assuming that one just beats on the ears in the correct direction until they release? Usually when I assume that I should beat on something, that proves to be the wrong answer...
Thanks for any help and advice.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: New Owner questions

Post by Tobi »

I don't have knock-offs, but as far as I know, you need a copper hammer. Yes, the directions differ from side to side to prevent that hey get loose by the wheel spin. Beat them until they get loose to remove. And beat them until the nut doesn't move any more to fasten them again.
hko
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by hko »

I can't advise regarding the original hammer (part number 4160374), but if you just want a tool to remove and attach wheels and don't want to beat the ears, you can get an adapter for use with a breaker bar/torque wrench. For example this one. Or perhaps the price will motivate you to make your own one ;)

Beware that Mr Fiat sells a "lead hammer" for Dino for $155 with a picture of a copper / hide hammer which the manufacturer sells for ~£31...

Apparently Ferraris of the more or less same period were equipped with lead hammers. Lead is softer than copper.
PCarter

Post by PCarter »

Well, I like the breaker bar option, but the price is breathtaking! Ordered a standard 5 lb lead hammer off Amazon prime for USD40. We'll see. Thanks for your reply.
Emanuel H

Post by Emanuel H »

Originally, it was a lead hammer. Lead being soft, or softer than the ear, the hammer gets dented each time you use it. Sooner or later you have to heat it up and mold it back into its form. Heating it up produces toxic fumes, and consequently, lead hammers are not available any more in some countries. Using the hammer also slightly dents the ears. My mechanic usually puts a piece of hardwood between the hammer and the ear and is quite successful in preventing dents.
On each knock-off, you find an arrow indicating the direction in which it must be removed.
PCarter

Post by PCarter »

I like the wood idea and will try it.

I have a leaking tire and am suspecting the wheels are the magnesium ones and have gotten porous. I have had this problem with Chromodora Daytonas on Lancia Scorpion. Is anyone else seeing the problem? I am contemplating tubes or applying a sealant to the inside of the wheel if I don't find a leak in the tire.