Wire wheels on a spider - go or no go

Post by dino176 »

I am considering those wheels on my 2L spider, what do you think go or no go
Skærmbillede 2019-12-30 kl. 22.14.13.png
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Wire wheels on a spider - go or no go

Post by beebee246 »

I had a set of borrani's on my 2400 spider ( sorry, can't find any photos) I thought they looked FANTASTIC.
dino176
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dino176 »

Hi Beebee
Do you have a specification or a Borani number for the wheels you used. If you can find a picture I would love to see....
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

Hi, Brian here.
The borrani's were specified for Ferrari 246 and 308 and they came with a hub adapt or kit. All genuine Borrani.
I don't have the numbers but they were 7.5" x 14". They looked awesome in my eyes, but several observers said they didn't suit the car. Tough luck, my car, my choice!
They were difficult to keep in balance, and also quite hard to keep clean. I sold them to a guy in Finland, and about 3 years later tried to buy them back, but he'd sold them the week before!
They were only about £2000 the set ( used), but I think there are hard to find now second hand, and new would likely be £7000 the set.
Good luck. You may find them on the Internet. Just search Ferrari 308 wire wheels,
Cheers, brian
Philbrun

Post by Philbrun »

dino176 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm I am considering those wheels on my 2L spider, what do you think go or no go
Skærmbillede 2019-12-30 kl. 22.14.13.png
FIRST : put the bumpers on your car... ! ! !

SECOND : Stop kidding with Italian bands and other gimmicks

THIRD : put your car in a paint house , and choose a better colour than that grey...

FOURTH : If you want to change the wheels , then put Ferrari wheels.

FIFTH : STOP KIDDING : SELL YOUR CAR AND GO TO A MATCHBOX COLLECTION... ! ! !
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Wheel choice seems to be a very personal thing! To my eyes you can't improve on the original Cromadoras. I find the Campys and Borranis too bling and out of keeping with the lines of both spider and coupe. The styling cues of these cars are from a point in automotive history where a lot was changing, and there is a lot of modernity in both the PF and Bertone lines. Wire wheels are a throwback to an earlier era and for me are all wrong for these cars and their 246GT cousins (similarly for the Ferrari Daytona and 365 GTC/4). But it's your car and your opinion is what matters!
2400 Spider #1364
Stephane2400
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Stephane2400 »

As a friend of originality I would always go for stock equipment - I consider it a duty towards the talent of those who created & hand crafted these automotive artworks.

Only improvement I do are set by 2 rules:
1/can be undone
2/mostly mecanical, in order to make the car more suitable to modern traffic conditions (ex: manual fan activation when sitting in traffic jams or Dinoplex replacement) - or security (belt on back seat to attach a children seat).

But in the end, it's your car & taste is a very personnal matter.
Fiat Dino 2400 coupe 1971