Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

AndrewMcCrae
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

This is my first post on these pages and I shall be documenting my story of my Dino which I have just received. Hopefully I'll be giving some information that will help other owners and along the way be able to call on the help of others too. This is her arriving at home on the 30th December.
IMG_20201230_153448_compress21.jpg
Last edited by AndrewMcCrae on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewMcCrae

Re: Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

PURCHASE STORY: I was looking for an Alfa Montreal to go with my 1750 GTV at one time but the Dino is much prettier in my opinion. Along my purchase route I contacted Clive "Speedlux" who put me in touch with Mark Devaney who was thinking of selling his own project. I paid Mark the deposit for his project sight unseen last April and after a year of Covid and Lockdowns Mark helped rush it through to me before Brexit and probable taxes.

It's bought as a project so I want to be absolutely clear that nothing that follows is a grumble about workmanship or a reflection on Mark who has been an absolute gentleman and has done a lot of preparation on the car above and beyond our agreement and who I have the utmost respect for.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Great! Please keep us up to date with your progress.
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Bonnet Alignment: First job for me today was to align the bonnet a bit better as it was a little close to the scuttle panel for me, and my perfectionism. I wanted about an extra 1.5mm gap on left corner.
Firstly the bolts are inserted from underneath behind the grill so grill needs to come off. Having removed the three clamp bolts at the top surface of the grill I then discovered the light surrounds need to be removed. Three self tappers, one inside wing near the top and two close to the inner light housing allowed these to be pulled out. Right side was very tight causing me trouble.
IMG_20210101_132958_compress79.jpg

The removal of the grill by pulling upwards then allowed me access the two bolts.
IMG_20210101_134102_compress23.jpg

I then measured the gap (with bonnet open) from the bonnet to the front panel at 18.3mm with a calipers. Loosened the bolts and with a few taps with the palm of my hand increased the gap to 19.7 (close enough). Tightened the bolts and checked the gap on the closed bonnet. Looks good.
IMG_20210101_134236_compress36.jpg
Next job will be to get two lights in so I can drive to my nearest NCT centre (national car test) who are contracted by Revenue to collect our Vehicle Registration Tax. Lots of paperwork too 😔. First free appointment end of January.
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by beebee246 »

Hi,
Is it AC3601 ?
If it is I owned it in the mid 1980’s and can give you some history,
Regards,
Brian boxall
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Brian, that's brilliant, yes she is 3601. I'll pm you with my contact details. Buzzing here! Andrew
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Very nice, congratulations and welcome!

How much of a project is it, lots to do still or just some last points? Also, do you still own the 1750?
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Thank you Scalino, It's a good question, for an expert maybe not a lot to do. But for an amateur who has never put together a Dino before it's all a learning curve. Inside needs a full refurb, lot of parts are there but all need reupholstery and most likely a lot of little bits.

As an example today I removed the rust from the headlight bowls and currently am treating with rust chemicals prior to prime and repaint. I will need new lights as there's reflector corrosion but the big problem is knowing which are heads and which are dips, are the lights rhd or lhd? Which parts go where as every light is a different design. I need to figure out how to attach the headlights as that outer ring has no holes for screws. I also need to figure out why I can't find parking lights. Maybe there were none. You see what I mean?

And the GTV. Yes I still have. Although I've still stuff to do on it too! Mechanically it's really good though.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Well, that’s what makes it interesting right ;)

Though I know very little about coupes, there is more than enough wisdom on this forum to see you through!
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

A few questions that have me baffled that I'm hoping somebody can help please
1. Where is the Side/parking lights? I have indicator lenses with a single bulb, head and dip lights with single bulbs. But wiring diagram shows two feeds to the indicator. Does the indicator bulb serve two purposes?
2. It looks like I may need a new Chassis plate. Does anyone have photos so that I can buy exactly the right design, to great accuracy. Mike Morris book is great for content.

Thank you
Andrew