1967 2.0 Spider #665

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

1967 2.0 Spider #665

Post by Gaelicguy »

I've just pulled the carbs and valve covers on my car that was sitting for 35 years. i soaked the pistons with Marvel Mystery Oil ( its an American product, something similar to an Aspirin for the human body, its good for many things) I also liberally coated the cam chains and cams etc.
I let this all sit overnight and put more on this morning.
The engine spun perfectly with no ominous noises and within seconds I had engine oil at the cams. All good news.
The carbs are currently undergoing a deep clean, I was lucky, when this car was put away in 1987, America didn't have ethanol in its fuel so the bowls just had a brownish haze in them and all the jets are clear. I'm hoping the fuel tank is the same.

The main reason for this topic is to ask about the valve covers, I know they are magnesium and I know how to care for them as I have many magnesium parts on my old motorbikes. but three questions;
1. Are they originally painted, and if so does anyone know the correct colour?
2. Ill be checking the cam clearances today, if I need different cam followers, where's the best place to get them, also is there a table used to record the gaps. I have one for my Honda CBX's, you fill in the clearances and it calculates how many and what size shims you need ( handy when you have 24 valves)
3. When re-installing the covers and end caps, do you use any gasket sealers. There is sealant on them now but when using new gaskets, often its not needed. For instance if you use gasket sealant on the sump of pre-80's BMW airheads, they will leak. Don't ask me why, but I know when I don't use it, they don't leak!!

tanks in advance
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Gaelicguy

Re: 1967 2.0 Spider #665

Post by Gaelicguy »

I just found the table for recording valve clearances in the "Instructions for repair of the 2000cc Engine"
M
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

If you want to have it not loosing oil, use sealant.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

The valve covers are not painted, only passivated. Look at this partly strange thread: http://www.fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=564
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thanks Tobi & Thomas
Wow!! We’ll that was about as much fun as asking the question “ what’s the best oil to use in my car”LOL
I think that after a good cleaning in the parts cleaner I will leave the covers as they are, a mid grey patina. If this is the result of wrinkle finish paint flaking of over the last 58 yrs that’s the way I will leave it. But if it did have a painted finish, it all fell of in the first 20 years of live. My car was put in storage in 1987 and there is no sign of flaked off paint.
My car will never be concour so a little patina is fine.
Michael
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Gaelicguy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:28 pmWow!! We’ll that was about as much fun as asking the question “ what’s the best oil to use in my car”LOL
Sometimes, strange people lose their way and end up on this island of reason accidentally.