My Dino has strong bad exhaust smell

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

My Dino has strong bad exhaust smell

Post by Georg »

Since I have my Dinos these have bad exhaust smells. I drove my Spider this weekend about 700km and when I turned home, my clothes, my baggage in the trunk and the car itself smelled badly. I know that other Dinos suffer the same.
Does anybody know where this could come from and how to stop this?
Georg
Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: My Dino has strong bad exhaust smell

Post by Luis A »

I don’t have that problem. Drove my 2400 Coupe about 550Km this weekend with no “bad smells”.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “bad”?
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Luis, I believe my carbs feed too rich. I am considering to put smaller jets. And it looks like that the connection of the 3in1 to the first muffler is not tight. Some exhaust already leaks below the car.
Georg
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, There are a lot of locations where the exhaust can leak and get back into the cabin. Is it only with the windows open, or also with the windows closed?

Things to check:
Pull back the carpets in the front footwells of the car and check the bulkhead for holes to the engine compartment. On the passenger side, check where the heater tubes go through-use putty or caulk to seal (a small hole here was the major culprit for me). Make sure everything is sealed tight. On the driver's side, check passages for the accelerator and clutch. They should have rubber seals.
Remove center console and check that you have a gator on the gearbox to seal this huge hole (ask me how I know).
Check air ducts in fenders for rips, airboxes should be intact.
Get some aluminum tape for heating ducts and wrap some around each of the junctions in the 3-in-1, place it under the clamp so as to cover all the slits and the opening.

With that, you should be in pretty good shape. For the trunk, you will likely need to replace the seal and make sure that it closes properly.

Good luck,

Dario
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Dario, thank you for this comprehensive check list. I will work it through as much as it concerns the Spider. My issue is that the car smells from unburned fuel AND that the exhaust gas enters in the passenger cabin. Even when I am driving with open soft top it smells terribly.But also with closed soft top.
Georg
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Good to know hwere to look up when smell enters from the engine bay!
However, first to know is where the bad small comes from. Is it burnt oil, fuel, exhaust fumes, hot tyres from driving to sporty or just a dog poo you stepped into before entering the car.
Exhaust fumes may be caused by a leak in the exhaust line. They should not be drawn into the car from the rear unless it's a design failure.
Unburnt fuel does not have to be casued by a poor combustion alone. It might also be a little leak in the lines.
Quim
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Quim »

I just found your discussion.
My Dino (Coupe 67) also has a strong exhaust smell even after I have had new exhaust manifolds (3 to 1) installed on either side. One of them was totally rotten. I thought that the smell would disappear... and almost,... but not quite.
I will check Darius list also.
Thank you