Newbie here from New York U.S.A.

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

89TC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Newbie here from New York U.S.A.

Post by 89TC »

Hi everybody, newbie here from New York U.S.A.

I just bought a 1972 2.4 project car and am joining this forum to give/receive information to keep these cars going. I didn't know much about the Fiat Dino before I found this project car but did do some research about it and find it very interesting. I have another Ferrari (among other exotic & muscle cars), and this Fiat would make an interesting addition to the collection.

I did have two questions: 1) why isn't there a U.S.A. sub-forum in the countries forum on this website? 2) It seems that alot of owners on this forum know where their cars originally came from; is there a report I can buy that lists the original selling dealer, the options the car has, and maybe the cars ownership history?
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Newbie here from New York U.S.A.

Post by Argonaut »

Hi 89TC,

welcome to the forum. And congratulations to your first Fiat Dino. I hope that you will bring this car back to life.

Maybe just a bt of information right upfront. Please note that originaly no Fiat Dino was delivered to a country outside of Europe and... they were all LHDs.
Moreover, roughly about 80% of the spiders and coupes were delivered new to Italy and only a few to Germany, France and Switzerland. Only later quite a reasonable amount of those cars were imported to the US whereas those new owners were second/thirs hand owners. Also Japanese collectors showed interest in the 80s to bring some cars to Japan.
Funny enough the British are nowadays representing one of the biggest communities although they hve to drive the cars on the wrong side of the road :D .
There are a few good books on those cars whereas the one from Mike Morris stands out. In those you can find the best history information.

Hope that explains a bit to you.

All the Best

Argonaut
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Welcome to the forum!
If you look at the country-specific sub-forums, you'll see that there is no much activity. They are intended for some country-specific discussions. It wouldn't make sense to start a technical discussion in a country-specific sub-forum since it wouldn't get much attention. We're all united by the attraction to the Dino and don't see country borders ;)
Fiat did not keep good records as Ferrari did. As far as I know there are no records that combine a VIN with color, engine no., options etc. You might only find the country and maybe the dealer the car was delivered to.
89TC

Post by 89TC »

Thank you both for the replies. In my research it seemed that there was a large Dino presence in the U.S., but maybe there is not. Is there a registry for these cars anywhere? Does anyone know how many are still in existence? I see that alot were parted out because they were in poor condition (and not too valuable back in the day). That can be good and bad because I hate to see rare cars get parted out, but at least they help the existing ones get/stay road worthy.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

There is no comprehensive registry - only club registries in some countries. There are also no numbers of survivors. But it is clear that much more Spiders have survived than Coupes.
hanskristianjepsen

Post by hanskristianjepsen »

Dino overview.png
Overview of Dinos presently registered w.w.
fredfrey

Post by fredfrey »

Where are you in NY? I'm up in CT. I've had my Spider for 15 years or so at this point.
Join the local FIAT club chapter would be a good idea to meet fellow owners (there are a few Dino owners).
68 Fiat Dino Spider, 73 Giulia Super, 66 Giulia Super, 71 Fiat 500, 72 GTV, 83 AlfaSud, 74 1600 JrZ, 2012 Abarth
89TC

Post by 89TC »

Ok, thanks everyone for the replies. I was thinking that maybe Ferrari kept records about specific cars in the 60's-70's, so I emailed them to see if any info was attainable.

I live in upstate New York (Sullivan County), there's no car culture up here at all. The last local car show consisted of four tow trucks and a hillbilly station wagon with a transplanted V8.
solomed
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by solomed »

Hi
Newbie here also from East Bay of San Francisco. Just purchased a 1968 coupe that I love to drive. Any owners in my area?
fredfrey

Post by fredfrey »

89TC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:59 pm Ok, thanks everyone for the replies. I was thinking that maybe Ferrari kept records about specific cars in the 60's-70's, so I emailed them to see if any info was attainable.

I live in upstate New York (Sullivan County), there's no car culture up here at all. The last local car show consisted of four tow trucks and a hillbilly station wagon with a transplanted V8.
I know of a 2.4 spider owner in Livingston Manor - not too far from you. He rarely takes his car out... but who knows, you may see him on the roads up there one day
68 Fiat Dino Spider, 73 Giulia Super, 66 Giulia Super, 71 Fiat 500, 72 GTV, 83 AlfaSud, 74 1600 JrZ, 2012 Abarth