Dutch 2.4 Spider

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Dutch 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

Just checked the rev counter, working as it should :D

Still do have a strange electrical issue, sometimes when you switch on the ignition it takes some time to give everything 12v. Different amount of time before it turns on every time. When it takes long and you try to start it, it may just run or the engine won’t turn over as it should. Wiggling the wires of the ignition switch helps sometimes, but not every time.

I’ll check the ignition switch with a multimeter when I get the chance.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Scalino wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:43 pm Still do have a strange electrical issue, sometimes when you switch on the ignition it takes some time to give everything 12v. Different amount of time before it turns on every time. When it takes long and you try to start it, it may just run or the engine won’t turn over as it should. Wiggling the wires of the ignition switch helps sometimes, but not every time.

I’ll check the ignition switch with a multimeter when I get the chance.
The problem soon got worse. It turns out the problem was indeed the ignition switch. A NOS example popped up for sale locally for a very reasonable price, so I picked that one up.
IMG_3071.jpeg
Changed them over last yesterday and everything is working as it should again. The only "problem" is that the NOS switch is slightly different and as such the steering lock does not work.
IMG_3070.jpeg
I will have a look at the old one and open it up some day, not a priority though. Also, I'll get a decent set of keys for the new switch...
Ribolla_67
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Ribolla_67 »

Ciao Scalino,
How about changing the switchplate of the new (non fitting) ignition switch into the old one?

I had a similar problem to ours with my 2400 coupe and cured it with a new switchplate from holtmannn & Niedergerke. The old one was corroded, dirty and finally had burnt contacts.

Georg is btw the real expert in ignition switches.

Good luck and all the best for your spider!
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Ribolla_67 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:30 pm I had a similar problem to ours with my 2400 coupe and cured it with a new switchplate from holtmannn & Niedergerke. The old one was corroded, dirty and finally had burnt contacts.
I didn’t know those are available, it’s on the order list now, thank you!