Coupe Fuel Tank

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Coupe Fuel Tank

Post by johnharrill »

I am in need of a new fuel tank for my 1967 Coupe. Superformance has them for the 2400 coupe.

Is there a difference between tanks for the 2000 and the 2400 coupe, seeing that the rear suspension is completely different?
dinoliver
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Coupe Fuel Tank

Post by dinoliver »

Hi John,
i`ve one fueltank to restore now.
I think it ´s the same one.
i will be send some picture´s.

greetings from north germany..
Oliver
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

Hi John, 2000 and 2400 fuel tanks are very different, you cannot interchange them. The 2400 is much wider.
Georg
johnharrill

Post by johnharrill »

I sent my tank and the rusted, spare tank to a regional firm that specializes in truck fuel and coolant tanks. After being assured that they could repair my tank or fabricate a replacement, I was told neither could be done. They turned out to be completely unreliable.

So my quest for a replacement tanks continues. At this point I am considering a new, generic tank.

Has anyone in the group tried this? :?:
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, I would try to contact Maurizio Zanella, he has a lot of spares for these cars. It will, however, add shipment from Italy.

Good luck,

Dario
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Hi

Seems like there are several worskhops in UK specializing in restoring fueltanks & radiators (Google: "Petrol tank restauration").
I have personally never tried, but here is a link to one of the workshops I found:
https://www.fueltanks.co.uk/
BC5222
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

Hi John, if you don't mind sending the tank to Germany, there is http://www.bloemer-fuesser.de/kuehlerservice.html in Düsseldorf. I have had about 8 tanks and radiators repaired in their shop. Very good quality, pricing is reasonable. They solder the wholes, take away all corrosion inside and coat tanks. Cost is reasonable. I am not sure, if they speak any English.
Georg
johnharrill

Post by johnharrill »

Living in NASCAR territory in the U.S., I took a chance that someone could fabricate a tank and Tom Ferrell Restoration did the job.

They made it in aluminum, with the baffles in the tank, and depressions for the fuel line on top and the straps on the bottom. The neck extends 4" from the tank and I will have to adapt the original filler pipe with a piece of 1 1/2" ID hose.

Hope to do that this week.
johnharrill

Post by johnharrill »

Tank is in and it fits nicely.
I took the opportunity to replace the rubber line on top of the tank leading to the fuel pick up with a hard line. I think the earlier cars had hoses and the later cars had copper line. Put felt strips between the tank and the straps to negate any squeaks.

Drove the car this morning and the tank did not fall out on the road. Counting this as a win..... :D