Do any Americans on here know about historical import data?

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

89TC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Do any Americans on here know about historical import data?

Post by 89TC »

An old 1980's Porsche 928 Weissach I had came with import documents that showed the place/date/names of the exporter from Germany into the U.S.. My 1984 Ferrari Mondial also came with import records in the glove box. My Dino came with no import records but I'd like to find them.

So my question is, since such meticulous records were taken at the time of export/import, where are those records today? I'm thinking that they are in a central government file repository and should be accessible to anyone who wants to look at them. Does anyone know where these files might be kept? I'm sure that the importing dock port has records, but also the government must have them too..
abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Do any Americans on here know about historical import data?

Post by abarth4 »

Since the Fiat Dino was never sold in North America, I don’t think what you’re looking for exists. Using “meticulous records” and Fiat Dino in the same sentence might be a bit of a stretch…… :D I remember going to pick up some generic car parts back in the 1980’s from a LARGE retailer and asking them to check something in their computer. I got a hearty laugh and a “dude, you think we’ve got a computer? Let me check on our index cards….” And that was in the States in the mid eighties! Bottom line… I wish you luck but it could be a tough nut to crack.
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
89TC

Post by 89TC »

Well I'm talking about import records in general, so the item imported could be a lamp, a couch, or a Fiat. I have some emails in to u.s. customs and another government document office, waiting for replies. I've also read that the import companies themselves only need to keep their records for three years after the item is imported, but not sure if that's correct or not. I'm also working with Ferrari on getting any historical documentaion they may have of the car (my car came with zero documentation).
abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by abarth4 »

Keep us posted on any results you might get. I would think most, if not all of the Dino's here in the States were imported by individuals. I think a lot came back with servicemen upon their return to the USA. To get around emissions & safety regulations there were a lot of "1967" model year cars imported. Good Luck with your endeavor though and let us know if you achieve a breakthrough. You would be a legend in your own time!
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
89TC

Post by 89TC »

Thanks. I'm trying to think out-of-the-box regarding attaining car information. I'm sure lots of other Dino owners have tried to glean historical information over the years, but the computer age has greatly helped information dissemination.

A good example is the 1970 Boss Mustang I own... Back in the 1970's Ford disposed of thousands of IBM computer cards containing individual car information. A secretary pulled them out of the dumpster in the 70's and now reunites them with anyone who has an old Mustang that matches the vin on her cards...

So in the end, I'm now in communication with Ferrari, Fiat, U.S. customs, Historical Archives in Italy, Bertone, ACI PRA traffic authority archives in Italy, and about three other entities. Most of the correspondence so far consists of "talk to this guy, talk to that guy, etc..", but at least everyone has been helpful so far in facilitating information attainment.

Just a taste of some of the replies, this reply below is from Centro Archivio Storico Fiat : Unfortunately the FIAT Dinos books of manufacturing never arrived in our archive and we assume they no longer exist, so the only certified information we can find about your car, starting from the type/chassis nr. (like 135AB 0012345), is the production Month/Year.