Coupe 2400 engine removal

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Coupe 2400 engine removal

Post by doublegarage »

It looks as though, after 10 years of ownership, my 2400 engine needs a rebuild. Lots of emulsified oil (milkshake) in the oil-fillers and an oil analysis revealed ant-freeze chemicals in the oil - so...

Of course it could just be a head-gasket, and maybe that's do-able with the engine still in the car - but there are a few other things that need doing, so I think it's time, for example:

1) it won't go into reverse when hot - if it was an Alfa I'd blame the pilot-bushing but I can't find one of those on the Fiat parts drawings - but it's something to do with the crank/clutch/gearbox interface - only one way to know..
2) gearshifting is rough, some work needed in the linkage from the gearlever, for sure
3) noisy when cold - very whiney and "churning" sound. But I think "they all do that"
4) oil leaks, so much I can't tell where it's coming from - time for a gasket set.

So to my question - what's the best strategy to get the engine and gearbox out? the possibilities I see are:
- separate engine/gearbox - engine out the top, gearbox lowered from underneath
- engine/gearbox as a unit, disconnect driveshaft, remove them together through the hood
- lift the body off the engine/gearbox - but I don't really have the headroom to do that (but could find a way IF someone tells me that's the best way by far)

How does everyone do it?

Thanks very much,

-Richard
ThomasK

Re: Coupe 2400 engine removal

Post by ThomasK »

Hi Richard,
I can share my experience and the way I did it. And to your questions:

- Fiat Dino has also a Pilot bushing in the crankshaft, should be exchanged when clutch or engine gets renewed
- Engine should not rattle and sound churning, but Whiny sound is indeed kind of Dino sound. Chain tension to be checked and maybe also bearings on chain drive gears-
- new oil in the gearbox might also improve shifting. Gearbox bearings or bushings might also be worn, causing misalignment from crankshaft to gearbox shaft
- renew engine mounts might also be advised.

To the engine: I removed and installed already many engines. I do it always downwards, meaning lowering engine and gearbox as one part downwards. Of course I have the facilities for that and you have to remove the steering links but for me this way works very well.

KR Thomas
DOMCHA31
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by DOMCHA31 »

Hello Richard,

For me, the best way to get the engine and gearbox out is from the bottom.
You must have a lift or a pit
It's all in one piece
Here is my experience and many videos do this like Mark Devaney classic Italian car restoration

https://youtu.be/WErUFFZ-1ug

Dominique
Attachments
20210321_163401_resized.jpg
20210321_163509_resized.jpg
20210321_171002_resized.jpg
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Thomas and Dominique,

Okay, that looks like the way to do it! I do have a lift, but in a different place away from all the tools - and it's a 4-post storage lift, therefore the ramps get in the way of removing wheels/suspension etc - but i know it can be done because i rebuilt all the suspension on that lift years ago. I just need to make a trolley the right height/length so that I can wheel the engine/gearbox back to the workshop.

And thanks for that link to the Mark Devaney videos, I'd never found those before - very helpful!

-Richard
Macaco
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Macaco »

Hi all,

I need to get the engine out in the near future as well and assumed the from-the-bottom procedure requires a lift.

In the pictures above however, I do see the engine in the pit. I do have a similar, little wider, pit and wonder how to move the Dino back from above the engine, with the complete front suspension disassembled. Or is it just a few parts to temporarily dis-assemble and roll it back and forth on its own wheels?

Michiel
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

Exactly. You mount the traverse where the engine sits on back on with four screws, the lower wishbone back on to the traverse with the two screws and stick the steering linkage back together, then you can put on the wheels and roll the chassis. You don’t need to put the anti roll bar back on to move it. Move it carefully as the propshaft rotates when moving.
Macaco
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Macaco »

Thanks. That sounds like the least complicated way then, I'll do so.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Next question is...

How does everyone mount the engine on a stand to work on it? Is the clutch end strong/safe enough to hold the engine in the usual way? Or is it better to support the engine from either side at the engine mounts?

if anybody's got pictures of how they mount a Dino engine on a stand, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Richard
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

Hi Richard,
I was looking for a picture but somehow did not find one…
Unused to mount my engine on the engine stand with four M12 bolts on the clutch side of the block. Strong enough and then you can also rotate the engine, at least on my engine stand.
KR Thomas
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Thanks Thomas,

That makes it easier.

-Richard