Front suspension FIAT Dino Coupe 2000

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Front suspension FIAT Dino Coupe 2000

Post by bhiggins2 »

I have owned my car for 2 years now and finally today I took it for a shake-down run on the highway. The engine pulled hard and strong right up to 8000 RPM. I have been waiting years to hear the engine sing!
The car came with receipts claiming the whole front end had been rebuilt the year before I purchased it, and had practically zero miles on it.
When I was under the car looking at the front suspension, it looked old and tired.
The car performed well up to 140kph but there was some vibration in the front end.
It has brand new tires on it that were balanced.
Does anyone know if the front end parts [links, bushings and ball joints] at Dinoparts are worth the extra money compared to Superformance?
Thanks,
Ben Higgins
1967 FIAT Dino Coupe 2000
Ribolla_67
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Front suspension FIAT Dino Coupe 2000

Post by Ribolla_67 »

Hi Ben,
First of all I would recommend to grab some parts from premium quality suppliers as TRW or Moog.
As some key parts are identical with other fiats, they are still available in top „non China“ quality.
I will search the part numbers tomorrow for you.

The remaining parts you can buy at Dinoparts or Superformance,
Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

Also have a look here: http://fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=1555

Though I have to admit I have not added any in the last year.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Ben, are you sure that the source of vibrations is the supension?

Do the vibs get stronger when you press the brake pedal?

Did you check the clearance of the front wheel bearings? If not lift the car with a jack, put your hands on left and richt side of the wheel and move back and forth gently. Try to feel if there is excessive clearance.

My experience is that vibs often come from a badly balanced propeller shaft. Do you feel these vibs strongest at about 70 and at 110 km/h?

Georg
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

There is a bit of a shimmy in the steering wheel. Feels like a bad tie rod end to me.
Vibration seems to be present at all speeds
I'm trying to find someone who will look at the front suspension without "having the car in the computer" as in the USA, you will never have a FIAT DINO in any computer. I have the spec's for the front end if I can find someone willing to enter them manually. If they can get the car on the front end machine, they can tell me pretty quickly if it is a bad ball joint or even bad wheel bearing.
I haven't touched the wheel bearings. If I jack the car up so the wheel clears the ground, the spring keeps the wheel from moving. Bearings are definitely on the list to inspect.
No, braking does not change or alter vibration.
It is possible that it is the driveshaft, but I want someone to tell me the front end is OK before I take the driveshaft to be balanced.
I replaced the rubber flex joint [GUIBO] and the center support and bearing on the driveshaft. I didn't touch the universal joint.
Thanks,
Ben Higgins
1967 FIAT Dino Coupe
Ribolla_67
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Ribolla_67 »

Hi Ben,

concerning premium quality parts you can use the following Fiat 125/132/Argenta parts:

- upper ball joint: TRW JBJ349
- lower ball joint: TRW JBJ306

- inner track rod: TRW JTE430 (Fiat 4109626)
- outer track rod: TRW JTE451 (Fiat 4100024)

Regards

Ribolla
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Thanks for the parts numbers.
That is very helpful.
Regards,
Ben.
ebrown5686

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi Ben,
Kudos to hanging in there in the path of getting your car right..it'll be worth it!
If by chance you get near the end of the line and it still shakes, consider getting your driveshaft balanced.
I had fits with the shakes in the front end,heck,the whole car!
It's all good now, but I hope you run into simpler and cheaper.
Keep at it Ben!
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396