Compression Test Results

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Kal
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Compression Test Results

Post by Kal »

It took a while... but the leak-down test results are in. Waiting for info on whether they listened for where the air was escaping from.

Cyl. 1:  20%
Cyl. 2:  20%
Cyl. 3:  11%
Cyl. 4:  25%
Cyl. 5:  20%
Cyl. 6:  15%
Dario

Post by Dario »

Interesting numbers, how are you interpreting them?

The lower losses on # 3 and #6 could be due to them being first in line to receive oil from the pump to the heads, although I don't see why this should affect the leak-down unless enough oil was getting into the cylinder to reduce leakage (leaky valve stem seals). In that case, you should see some blue smoke on cold start-up.

Are we sure the odometer has not rolled over?
Kal

Post by Kal »

Bit of an update. The technician who performed the leak-down test didn't observe where the air was leaking from, which is going to make it a little difficult to determine exactly what the numbers mean, except you typically don't want >5% variance between cylinders.

I also cannot find any reference to a valve clearance check/adjustment in any of the paperwork I have access to, which begs the question if one has been done in the past decade. Part of me is wondering if this could be the issue, or be contributing to it.

In terms of the odometer possibly rolling over. The car was originally from Italy (it's been in the UK for around 8 years), and very little paperwork was kept, so it's very possible. However, I do have a photo of the dashboard, and the 46 - as in 46,000 - on the odometer haven't got that telltale "out of alignment" sign that occurs when a number rolls all the way over and starts cycling around again.

Not really sure what to do now, unless someone has any suggestions/ideas?
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Just drive, have fun and don't worry.
These are not worrying numbers. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Dario

Post by Dario »

I don't think he has bought the car...yet.

If it was mine, I would continue driving it until something showed up indicating real engine work was needed. If it was going to be mine, I would factor in some money for the engine. These are great cars and the engine is very solid if properly looked after. It could be something as simple as some deposits on the valve seats, which would go away with a long drive, or maybe someone forgot to put lead substitute in the gas and the seats are a little damaged. Were they replaced when the heads were pulled?
Kal

Post by Kal »

No. Haven't bought this one (yet). It's always difficult when you are moving a car 15,000km to an island, as parts become incredibly expensive to freight.

This is why I'm being overly cautious in trying to get as best picture as possible.
Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Gaelicguy »

Kal
Did you buy the car in the end?
If so how is it?
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Kal

Post by Kal »

No I didn’t purchase it, and as far as I’m aware the car is still for sale (albeit with a different dealer). Too many variables and uncertainties, and being I’m many thousands of miles away from it, decided not to risk it.
Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Gaelicguy »

sensible decision.
Good luck in your search
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D