Fuel choke

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

ElDino2400
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Fuel choke

Post by ElDino2400 »

Hello

Had serious work done on my 2400 coupe - carburators, engine, new exhaust, breaks, ignition engine. Drove 500km without any glitch or overheating and passed the long coveted technical control to get the vehiculo
historico status (access to low emissions urban centres and control only every 4 years).

BUT few days later I started having issues with the engine stopping like if it is running out of fuel (tank a quarter full). Given that the fuel pump is recently changed, fuel filter new, my mechanic thinks it could be dirt in the fuel tank.

Any similar experience or advice?

Many thanks
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Fuel choke

Post by Tobi »

Common problem and easy to check is underpressure. The filler cap is closing tighly. I have to screw mine very loosely onto the filler neck.
ElDino2400

Post by ElDino2400 »

Thanks Tobi

You mean fuel filter cap? To unscrew it a bit?

Fabrice
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

I think Tobi means the cap where you fill in fuel.

If you have installed a fuel filter, it should be easy to check if there is dirt in it. Recommendation is to build in a cheap online, transparent filter, then you can see if dirt is in the tank.

You can also check the fuel filters in the carbs, where the petrol line goes into the carbs.
ElDino2400

Post by ElDino2400 »

Thanks a lot for that.

Well after investigation it is not a fuel supply problem.

It’s the coil distributor (is that the correct name?) which overheats (>95 degrees) and stop the engine.

The problem is that the old one was changed a new one more resistant (photo). The overheating might come from an electric problem from somewhere else. My mechanic thinks it might be the Dinoplex which seems to have been fixed some time ago.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
d7d185c7-7c46-404c-a940-21b66bd44938.jpeg
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

As you use the original Dinoplex, at least it looks like, make sure you use the right coil for this unit. On the page Dinoplex.org you find a lot of information including the right coils and their replacement options.
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

Hi Fabrice,

My observations are:

A Dinoplex AEC 103 A cannot be fixed. Because all “entrails” are embedded in epoxy resin. If you open an original box you will find one resin block. No chance to replace any resistor, condensator, etc.

Either an AEC 103 works or its garbage. If yours is an original AEC 103 A, it’s mandatory that you use a coil Magneti Marelli BAE 200A, or BAE 201A, or BAE 203A.

It could be that your Dinoplex is just the original box, to make it look original, but housing some other ignition system inside. This would explain why your coil is a different make but not Marelli. Check, what is inside the box. The badge "Finocchiaro racing" on the original blue badge is not original and could be a hint that this company has implanted another system in this box.

By the way, your ignition distributor is from a Dino 2000, not for a 2400. It works on a 2400, but it is not original. Both 2000 and 2400 have different bodies.

Georg
ElDino2400

Post by ElDino2400 »

Thanks a lot.

A bit overwhelming to choose the right way forward. But clearly the system as it is now does not perform well. I will probably opt for a new electronic ignition system while preserving and restoring what can be.

Fabrice
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Have a look inside your AEC103. If it's already stuffed with something else, get a Winterburn ignition and put it inside. This is a very good and cheap alternative. If it's still a Dinoplex, test it. If it's definitely broken, get a Winterburn ignition and put it inside.
http://www.capacitordischargeignition.com/