THE FIAT DINO CHASSIS-NUMBER MYTHOLOGY

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: THE FIAT DINO CHASSIS-NUMBER MYTHOLOGY

Post by Dinoswede »

Erik, that is the way I have done it - with no success! I have asked a guy who knows computers well,
and he says the only explanation he has, is if your pics are in the format "JPEG 2000". He says that
format will not work in my Windows computer...?

If I try up-zooming the downloaded and opened file, it looks like this:
Skärmbild 2023-12-02 181233.png
I am sorry to bother you with this, especially if it is some kind of technical fault in my own computer,
but I am definitively curious to see what you have found out re the Dino chassis numbers!

Dinoswede
Fanalone
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Fanalone »

PM me with your e-mail, and I can mail them to you.
Erik
BC5222
DWR46
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by DWR46 »

Fanalone: I also, cannot view or download the files so I can see the information clearly. Maybe you can attach them to your post like the "mythology" single sheet. I was able to download that sheet easily. I am looking forward to learning about your results, but cannot download the information.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Fanalone: PM sent.
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

I have changed them all to PDF attachement now, hope that works for everybody :)
BC5222
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Fanalone: Got them now, thank you.
Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Dinoswede »

Yes Erik, now everything is clearly visible, many thanks! Bringing all this info together must have been an
absolutely giant work. All FDF members should be impressed!

Two minor reflexions;
When going through the listed registration numbers, I found two Fiat Dinos of interest, which I have some
knowledge of:
Yes, AC 0003180 was imported to Sweden 1973 by Mr Bergelin, but as a used car. It is not one of the eight
2,0 Litre Dino Coupes sold new by the Swedish FIAT-owned dealerships. As noted in the list, it was exported
in October 2021, totally restored and in a non-original white paint!

The other Dino is listed as AC 0000916, but is actually a Spider. I am fairly sure about that, as this Dino´s
registration number in the list belonged to one of three 2,0 Litre Spiders sold new in Sweden - with the
very same chassis number - AS 0000916!! Also this surviving Dino has been exported, in June 2022.

Dinoswede
antc

Post by antc »

Good Afternoon All.

I think this is praiseworthy work and needs to be applauded.

i have two Dino’s. One 2.0 fits the sequence well, but another 2.4 that seems a real anamoly. I have attached some pics that may explain.

Any ideas how a relatively early 2.0 VIN is actually a full 2.4, body and engine?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Kind Regards
Anthony Corin
Attachments
IMG_6928.jpeg
IMG_6934.jpeg
IMG_6991.jpeg
IMG_7007.jpeg
IMG_6886.jpeg
IMG_6895.jpeg
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Hi Anthony

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Regardign your 2400 mystery, I suppose someone has performed a body swap in it`s early day`s
I don`t think this was so uncommon in the late 70`s/ early 80`s when this cars where wort almost nothing.
That`s how it was done, to fix a rusty / damaged car in those day`s.
So in this specific case with your "AC878", with full 2400 suit, I suspect the "AC878" chassis No. has been welded into the 2400 body.
If you inspect your body thoroghly, all the boltet body parts (doors (have to remove door card), bonnet, hood) are stamped with 4 last digits of the original chassis No. Easiest is to look at the hood, normaly stamped on the middle of the passenger side of the hood.
If the engine No.5959 is the original one to this 2400 body, I suspect you will find a body No. low in the 4000 range, if I`m right I would be between 4000 - 4100!

And thank`s for the AC168 pictures, Engine No. seems periode correct.
I have inserted it into my excel sheet, so will upload a updated version later.

BR
Erik
BC5222
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Good evening Dinoswede

Well, It has been my hobby for the last 2 years, for sure, and my wife and kids thinks Im a total lunatic :roll:
But I have enjoyed it, It has been satisfying to search and find all the small pieces of this puzzle, even took me to Turin :D

Thx. for the update of 3180 & 916, I will update my excel sheet.
Regarding 916, I found it registered on car.info.se as a Coupe, but the noted chassis No. is only 916, so impossible for me to catch they had i wrong.
And on "transportstyrelsen" it don`t exsist anymore, since it is exported.
Do you have any info on this car, like ricambi & engine No. etc?

When I now check my AS register, I have catched it earlier, just forgott to update the AC register!
It`s this one, but I don`t have the ricambi No./ engine No. etc.:
0000916 - 1.JPG
BR
Erik
BC5222