THE FIAT DINO CHASSIS-NUMBER MYTHOLOGY

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: THE FIAT DINO CHASSIS-NUMBER MYTHOLOGY

Post by Dinoswede »

The 2 Litre Spider AS000 0916 got engine number 0003715 from factory.
Unfortunately, I have no info re the ricambi number.

Dinoswede
Fanalone
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Fanalone »

Ok, thank`s.
BC5222
antc

Post by antc »

Fanalone wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:17 pm Hi Anthony

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Regardign your 2400 mystery, I suppose someone has performed a body swap in it`s early day`s
I don`t think this was so uncommon in the late 70`s/ early 80`s when this cars where wort almost nothing.
That`s how it was done, to fix a rusty / damaged car in those day`s.
So in this specific case with your "AC878", with full 2400 suit, I suspect the "AC878" chassis No. has been welded into the 2400 body.
If you inspect your body thoroghly, all the boltet body parts (doors (have to remove door card), bonnet, hood) are stamped with 4 last digits of the original chassis No. Easiest is to look at the hood, normaly stamped on the middle of the passenger side of the hood.
If the engine No.5959 is the original one to this 2400 body, I suspect you will find a body No. low in the 4000 range, if I`m right I would be between 4000 - 4100!

And thank`s for the AC168 pictures, Engine No. seems periode correct.
I have inserted it into my excel sheet, so will upload a updated version later.

BR
Erik
Good Afternoon Erik.

Thanks for your insightful feedback.
Regarding the 2400, I can confirm the following, which is aligned with your excellent guess!
I have been able to locate stampings within both doors, indicating the number 4033. This is right in the range you estimated, extrapolating form the engine number ( Well done!). I have attached a pic of the one side, just to prove the accuracy of your guess!
BTW, no number stamping in the bonnet on this car, although it is present on the 2000.

I am still at a complete loss to explain why the chassis stamping in the engine bay is not in agreement. It really does not look as if this section has been cut and a different chassis stamping welded in. Anything is possible of course, especially many moons ago, but it is difficult to figure the rationale.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance and for the moment, comfortable for you to link the engine number with the VIN ending 4033.

Take care

Anthony Corin
IMG_7023.jpeg
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Antc,
I think what Fanalone means is the whole right inner front wing section in your 2,4 Coupe has been
replaced by the corresponding part from AC 0878.These sections in the front are probably mostly
spotwelded, and possible to drill-out.
Skärmbild 2023-12-05 174012.png

AC 0878 should not have any Dinoplex from factory. When the first (large) Dinoplex was introduced
in the production line, the 2,0 Coupes production should have reached a much higher chassis number
than AC 0878.
So, if you look at your 2,4 Coupe´s right inner front wing, it would not be a big surprise if you cannot
see any signs of the original three, welded fastening bolts for the Dinoplex box that all 2,4 Coupes
should have. I guess that would support Fanalone´s theory!

Of course, your 2,4 Coupe can have a Dinoplex or some other kind of ignition box now, bolted to the
right inner wing. Even if so, it should be possible to determine if there are any original fastening bolts
in place, or not.

Dinoswede
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Good evening

In my opinion, I think it all depends on the paperwork of this car.
If the chassis No. in the registration papers/ title are AC0878, then it has been a pure chassis no swap.
How it`s been performed, I have No idea, but for sure you will find traces of this job somwhere on the inner fender.
If the chassis No. in the registration papers/ title is BC4033, then I think the inner wing has been replaced because of a front/ side damage, and the inner (and outer) wing from AC0878 was installed.

BR
Erik
BC5222
antc

Post by antc »

Afternoon Gents

Thanks for your replies.

The car is registered as AC878 with 135C5959 engine number. This does not alone prove that this body, vin stamping and engine have been married from birth, but does add to the mystery.

BTW, can it be confirmed that the elements 4148151 and 4149475 are interchangeable between 2.0 and 2.4 ? I don't have access to the 2.0 body part catalogue and don't find it on the forum downloads?

BTW, the 3 Dinoplex welded bolts have been cut flush, but are present in seemingly the correct position for mounting the DInoplex C on AC878

Kind Regards

Anthony Corin
Woop-2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Woop-2000 »

Hi Fanalone,

Here's the details of my 1968 2000 Coupe to add to your list.
It was imported from Italy to Australia in 1974.
DSC00363.JPG
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Good evening

Thank`s for the picture, new to me.
If there is anyone else that want to share, but don`t want to uploade here on the forum, PM me so we can excahnge e-mail.

PS!
The engine No. can easily be found by sliding your mobilephone down along the engine oilfilter, and take a picture of the enging block front, just under the cylinder head gasket.

BR
Erik
BC5222
Fanalone

Post by Fanalone »

Good evening all

I have now updated the Library page with a smal revision of the AC doc., and as promissed the AS documentation.
Link to the pege here: http://www.fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=8285#p8285

Attached here is also a small summary of my thoughts about my AS "research":
Fiat Dino Chassis Number Mythology - AS.pdf
(122.6 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

PS!
There is 209 lines in the Ricambi doc., and 213 in the Chassis doc. :shock:
I`m quiet tired now, and are not able to find the 4 rows which are wrong/ to much.
So if you manage to sort them out, please inform us.

Happy reading ;)
BR
Erik
BC5222
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Antc,

The Body parts Catalogue page for 2,0 Litre Coupe below confirms the 2,0 and 2,4 Litre Coupes
share the same inner front wing section parts. It is probably the explanation how your 2,4 Coupe
got it´s AC 0878 identity. The welded fastening bolts for a Dinoplex are somewhat confusing, but
these perhaps were added, with the damaged original BC 4033 inner front wing section used as a
pattern?

Skärmbild 2023-12-13 203957.png

Dinoswede