Magneti Marelli BZR 205A ignition coil

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Magneti Marelli BZR 205A ignition coil

Post by Dinoswede »

I spotted a discussion at the Forum re why the BZR 205A ignition coil has 3 connectors, instead of the "normal" 2 connectors.

The special feature of this coil is that the primary and secondary windings are not sharing the same ground (earth) connections.
Other "normal" ignition coils have their two windings connected to ground at the same point.
But the Dinoplex AEC101 can only be used with a coil having this feature, otherwise the electronics will be damaged!
This is the only reason for having the "3 connector coil".

When switching to "Emergenza" mode, the AEC 101 electronic circuits are completely bypassed, so the BZR 205A primary coil
is connected directly to +12 Volt and ground (through the breaker points), as in any "ordinary" breaker points ignition.

Dinoswede
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Magneti Marelli BZR 205A ignition coil

Post by Tobi »

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I should have referenced Adrians knowledge before spreading half-facts ;)
http://dinoplex.org/aec101diag/aec101diag.html
bzr205_stdcoil.png
Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Gaelicguy »

The problem is! You just know there’s a case of these stuck in the back of a warehouse somewhere in the world. And no ones knows what the hell they are for😂😂
Everytime I drive past a Magneti Marelli sign in an old shop, I get this urge to go in and ask if they’ve got one🥴🥴
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Gaelicguy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 pm The problem is! You just know there’s a case of these stuck in the back of a warehouse somewhere in the world. And no ones knows what the hell they are for😂😂
Everytime I drive past a Magneti Marelli sign in an old shop, I get this urge to go in and ask if they’ve got one🥴🥴
That's the hope that keeps us alive :lol:
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

For years I’ve wondered if an ignition coil can could be successfully uncrimped to access the inner components and then crimped back without having leaks. If this were possible perhaps a “normal” coil could be re-wired to separate both inner windings and have the functionality of a 205A…? 🤔
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

It's possible to open a coil, rebuild it and crimp it again. However, you'll need some special expertise and tools.